Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thing One Thing One is offline

Default Word 2007 - what is small square at edge of screen?

I scanned a document into Word. Next to some of the paragraphs there
is a small square (like the non-printing mark that indicates "Keep
Lines Together" in Word docs). I can't figure out what the mark
indicates, or how to get rid of it. (It doesn't print, nor does it
seem to be causing any harm but I am curious what it is.) Thank you
for any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It indicates that the given paragraph is formatted as "Keep with next,"
"Keep lines together," "Page break before," or (rarely) "Suppress line
numbering."

http://word.mvps.org

"Thing One" wrote in message
I scanned a document into Word. Next to some of the paragraphs there
is a small square (like the non-printing mark that indicates "Keep
Lines Together" in Word docs). I can't figure out what the mark
indicates, or how to get rid of it. (It doesn't print, nor does it
seem to be causing any harm but I am curious what it is.) Thank you
for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Thing One" wrote in message

I scanned a document into Word. *Next to some of the paragraphs there
is a small square (like the non-printing mark that indicates "Keep
Lines Together" in Word docs). *I can't figure out what the mark
indicates, or how to get rid of it. *(It doesn't print, nor does it
seem to be causing any harm but I am curious what it is.) *Thank you
for any suggestions.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have checked each of them
- it is none of those things, but I thank you for your response and
suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are you talking about the tiny, filled in black square on the left margin at
the start of a paragraph?

If so, then Suzanne is absolutely 1000% correct.

If not, what are you talking about? Please describe them or better still,
please show us a sample we can see on the Internet.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Thing One" wrote in message

I scanned a document into Word. Next to some of the paragraphs there
is a small square (like the non-printing mark that indicates "Keep
Lines Together" in Word docs). I can't figure out what the mark
indicates, or how to get rid of it. (It doesn't print, nor does it
seem to be causing any harm but I am curious what it is.) Thank you
for any suggestions.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have checked each of them
- it is none of those things, but I thank you for your response and
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

From the initial description, the "bullet" is the same as the one used to
indicate those "Line and Page Breaks" settings.

http://word.mvps.org