Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montgomerymouse

Default Want To See Headings in Document Map W/out Seeing Them in Document

I'm using Word 2002 on a Windows XP system.

I love the ability to jump around a very large document using the Document
Map view.

I need to be able to hide those headings, however, in the document.
Currently, when I hide the headings, they disappear from the document.

Can anyone tell me a way that I can see various headings in the Document Map
without the headings appearing in the document?

Much thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi montgomerymouse

It's not clear whether you want to hide the headings on the screen, or on
paper. Depending on what you need, modify the heading styles so they have
white text, or are hidden. The Document Map will display white text in the
ordinary way; the Document Map will display hidden text with a dotted
underline. In either case, you'll have to be very careful that you don't
accidentally type over the headings, or put text in the wrong spot.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"montgomerymouse" wrote in
message ...
I'm using Word 2002 on a Windows XP system.

I love the ability to jump around a very large document using the Document
Map view.

I need to be able to hide those headings, however, in the document.
Currently, when I hide the headings, they disappear from the document.

Can anyone tell me a way that I can see various headings in the Document
Map
without the headings appearing in the document?

Much thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montgomerymouse

Default Want To See Headings in Document Map W/out Seeing Them in Docu

Hi Shauna,

thanks for your response!

I want the headings to be hidden both on the screen and on the paper, but I
want the headings to appear in the document map.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you are saying that I could hide the
heading and still be able to see the heading in the Document Map. However,
when I hide the headings, I don't see them at all in the Document Map. Do
you have any idea what I am doing incorrectly so that I can't see them in the
Document map?

Thanks!
Matt

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Matt

What steps are you taking to hide the headings in the document? And what
version of Word do you have?

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montgomerymouse

I have Word 2002.

I've created a Style that I call "MM Bullet." I go to the "Format" tab,
choose "Styles and Formatting." In the "Formatting of selected text" box,
I left click on the drop down box. I then choose "modify." I then check the
"add to template" box. I then left click on the "Format" button. I then
choose "Font" on the menu. I then check "hidden" and then left click on the
the OK button.

Thanks!
Matt

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, in Word 2003, if I format a heading as Hidden, it disappears from the
Document Map immediately, even if I have Hidden text displayed in the
document (just the opposite of what the OP wants).

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Suzanne, Matt

That's not what I see. Here's what I did:

Create a new document.
Turn on the Document Map.
Put 3 short paragraphs of text into the document.
Apply Heading 1 style to the first paragraph, Heading 2 style to the second
paragraph, Body Text to the third paragraph.
Observe that the Document Map shows the Heading 1 and Heading 2 paragraphs.
Modify the Heading 2 style so it is hidden.

What I see in the Document Map is the Heading 1 text, shown as normal, and
the Heading 2 text with a dotted underline.

Is that not what you see?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, in Word 2003, if I format a heading as Hidden, it disappears from
the
Document Map immediately, even if I have Hidden text displayed in the
document (just the opposite of what the OP wants).

so
all may benefit.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montgomerymouse

Shauna,

Thanks for the clear advice. Unfortunately, it's not working. I wonder if
there is some setting I need to change to be able to achieve it.

The scenario that you are getting is exactly what I am looking to do.

Thanks!
Matt

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Matt

I tried to look to see what settings might affect this. I discovered two
things. First, if I start off in Normal View, then it doesn't work. Second,
if I start in Print Layout view, and then change the View from Print Layout
to Normal and back, then the effect disappeared. That is, once I changed the
View, I could no longer see the hidden text in the Document Map.

So it doesn't look like a very stable proposition.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
montgomerymouse

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the time you put into this. I actually tried the threee
paragraph suggestion you used above starting from the top using Print View.
No luck. Who knows maybe someone will come up with a work around solution.

All the best,

Monte M.