Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
dhogan dhogan is offline

Default Table of Contents - TOC Level

I am using Word 2003, have my own styles, able to select them in the
Table of Contents Options dialog box - and able to select the custom
TOC levels. No problems with this.

However, I am tired of having to edit the TOC level whenever I change
something such as tabs, number of levels - when I have to regenerate
the table of contents. Is there a way to have my own TOC levels "stick"
versus the default Heading 1, etc. levels continue to override my
levels? I am constantly deleting the default levels and adding my own.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing. Once you've created the TOC, it
should be good to go: you just update it with F9. Note also that if you
assign an outline level to your styles, they'll be included in the TOC
automatically (you'll still have to remove the built-in heading styles, but
that's just one of the many arguments for using them in place of custom
styles; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ngStyles.html).

For many TOC tweaks, it's more efficient to edit the TOC field, and there
are some effects you can achieve *only* that way. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

ups.com...