Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ent@ent.ent is offline

Default comparing two documents in a quantifiable way

Hi all

I need to compare two Word documents using some Word feature, tool,
plugin or separate utility that tells me *how much* two documents differ
one from the other.

Example:

The text in document A is 25% different from the text in document B.

Does such tool exist?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As far as I know, what you are trying to do isn't possible in Word.

What Word can do is compare documents and create a combined version with
Track Changes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message ...

Hi all

I need to compare two Word documents using some Word feature, tool, plugin
or separate utility that tells me *how much* two documents differ one from
the other.

Example:

The text in document A is 25% different from the text in document B.

Does such tool exist?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan Blom wrote:
As far as I know, what you are trying to do isn't possible in Word.

What Word can do is compare documents and create a combined version with
Track Changes.

Is there a way to know how many words are changed between two similar
documents? Something like "X words were changed between docA and docB" ?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs
"I want to cook something good."

'good' and 'cook' appear in both sentences, yet their meaning is totally
different ('cook' appears as a noun and as a verb for example).

If you consider those words the same in the above sentences, you could write
a macro which just keeps track of each word in your document and the number
of times it occurs. Given that list, you could then count the number of
times each word occurs in the other document and see how much change there
is. But if you ask me, the resulting value wouldn't be expressing anything
useful.

Yves

wrote in message ...
Stefan Blom wrote:
As far as I know, what you are trying to do isn't possible in Word.

What Word can do is compare documents and create a combined version with
Track Changes.

Is there a way to know how many words are changed between two similar
documents? Something like "X words were changed between docA and docB" ?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yves Dhondt wrote:
How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs
"I want to cook something good."

'good' and 'cook' appear in both sentences, yet their meaning is totally
different ('cook' appears as a noun and as a verb for example).

If you consider those words the same in the above sentences, you could
write a macro which just keeps track of each word in your document and
the number of times it occurs. Given that list, you could then count the
number of times each word occurs in the other document and see how much
change there is. But if you ask me, the resulting value wouldn't be
expressing anything useful.

Yves

I agree with you, but in my case semantics is not a concern.

I have a very simple need.

I am dealing with very formalised and repetitive documents and all I
need is just something that does this:

Given the capability that Word 2007 already has, of comparing two
documents an show what lines/words are different in the two docs, I need
to simply be able to *count* how many words are different in the second
documents.

Can I do that, perhaps selecting somehow the "different" word in the
second doc and the counting them?

How can I select or capture the words that are different?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yves Dhondt wrote:
How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs

In other words my procedure would be like this:

1) compare docB against docA
and
2) put different words, i.e. different lines, into docC

3) count words in docC.

Is there a way to do 2), i.e. create a document that contains only what
Words considers as *changed* in docb in respect to docA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Run the following macro on the document created by comparing the two
documents

MsgBox ActiveDocument.Revisions.Count

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message ...
Yves Dhondt wrote:
How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs

In other words my procedure would be like this:

1) compare docB against docA
and
2) put different words, i.e. different lines, into docC

3) count words in docC.

Is there a way to do 2), i.e. create a document that contains only what
Words considers as *changed* in docb in respect to docA?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message ...
Yves Dhondt wrote:
How would you describe the change of words?

"I'm considered a good cook."
vs

In other words my procedure would be like this:

1) compare docB against docA
and
2) put different words, i.e. different lines, into docC

3) count words in docC.

Is there a way to do 2), i.e. create a document that contains only what
Words considers as *changed* in docb in respect to docA?

Thanks

comparing documents paul jones Microsoft Word Help 0 October 15th 09 04:19 PM
Comparing Two Documents? Tmuldoon Microsoft Word Help 3 July 24th 08 10:52 PM
Comparing Documents TJAC Microsoft Word Help 2 July 23rd 07 03:00 PM
Comparing documents Peg K New Users 1 April 7th 06 04:24 PM
Comparing Documents Christina Microsoft Word Help 2 April 20th 05 06:04 PM