Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobobi bobobi is offline

Default keyboard shortcuts

Any keyboard shortcut I create disappears when I restart Word. I am saving
them to Normal.dot. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

bobobi wrote:
Any keyboard shortcut I create disappears when I restart Word. I am
saving them to Normal.dot. What am I missing?

Something is preventing Word from saving changes in the Normal.dot file.
Typically this is an add-in, such as the one from Acrobat 7. Try moving all
files out of the Word Startup folder to someplace else, restarting Word, and
saving some shortcuts. If that works, move the files back into Startup one
at a time and retesting, until you find the one that's at fault. (The
Startup folder's location is shown in the Options File Locations dialog;
by default it's a hidden folder at %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobobi bobobi is offline

Jay -

Thanks, I did check the startup folder it was empty. I am thinking I need
to reinstall Word unless you have another suggestion.

Thanks

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bobobi wrote:
Any keyboard shortcut I create disappears when I restart Word. I am
saving them to Normal.dot. What am I missing?

Something is preventing Word from saving changes in the Normal.dot file.
Typically this is an add-in, such as the one from Acrobat 7. Try moving all
files out of the Word Startup folder to someplace else, restarting Word, and
saving some shortcuts. If that works, move the files back into Startup one
at a time and retesting, until you find the one that's at fault. (The
Startup folder's location is shown in the Options File Locations dialog;
by default it's a hidden folder at %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Uninstall/reinstall almost never solves any problems with Word. Try the
troubleshooting steps in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm, starting with
the one about starting Word with the /a switch.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bobobi wrote:
Any keyboard shortcut I create disappears when I restart Word. I am
saving them to Normal.dot. What am I missing?

Something is preventing Word from saving changes in the Normal.dot
file. Typically this is an add-in, such as the one from Acrobat 7.
Try moving all files out of the Word Startup folder to someplace
else, restarting Word, and saving some shortcuts. If that works,
move the files back into Startup one at a time and retesting, until
you find the one that's at fault. (The Startup folder's location is
shown in the Options File Locations dialog; by default it's a
hidden folder at %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobobi bobobi is offline

Thanks for suggestion. We ended up updating Adobe and that allowed the
shortcuts to stick.

Thanks

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bobobi wrote:
Any keyboard shortcut I create disappears when I restart Word. I am
saving them to Normal.dot. What am I missing?

Something is preventing Word from saving changes in the Normal.dot
file. Typically this is an add-in, such as the one from Acrobat 7.
Try moving all files out of the Word Startup folder to someplace
else, restarting Word, and saving some shortcuts. If that works,
move the files back into Startup one at a time and retesting, until
you find the one that's at fault. (The Startup folder's location is
shown in the Options File Locations dialog; by default it's a
hidden folder at %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup.)

Keyboard shortcuts John Microsoft Word Help 9 December 1st 07 06:05 AM
Keyboard Shortcuts Silver Fox Microsoft Word Help 10 October 10th 07 08:09 PM
Keyboard shortcuts LurfysMa New Users 1 June 12th 07 04:06 PM
keyboard shortcuts Rupert Bear Microsoft Word Help 4 December 28th 06 03:37 PM
keyboard shortcuts Dave in MP Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 04 10:23 AM