mpiper

Default Can I easily create a tab-delimited file from plain text in Word?

I am trying to manipulate some data to eventually import into an Access db. I
have a plain text file of the data that I am getting from a web-based
database and am trying to create a tab-delimited file that I can then import
into Access. The db I am exporting the data from offers no way for me to save
it as anything other than a plain text file. The fields currently are
delimited by carriage returns only.

Is there any way for me to save the data in a Word document as a
tab-delimited file without having to manually enter tabs for each item? I'm
looking at hundreds of lines here. Or is there some way of importing into
Access using the carriage returns as a delimiter? I haven't been able to find
a way to do that so far, but I'm obviously no expert...

Any assistance I can get on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Michael
CyberTaz

I'm certain that what you want to do can be accomplished (probably not
difficult), but need further info. In fact, you may be aable to import
directly to Access - it doesn't have to be a tab delimited text file.

First, you don't mention what versions of Word & Access. May not matter much
for this issue, but including that info in your post can't hurt.

Secondly, you wrote "The fields currently are delimited by carriage returns
only." Do you really mean "fields" or "records"?

If you did mean "records", you may be able to just select the text, go to
TableConvertText to Table & make the appropriate choice with regard to the
actual delimiter used in the text (may actually be Space or Tab already).

Once done you can save the file as whatever format necessary.

HTH |:)