Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Whereare my Normal templates stored Office/Word2007?

I have a regular problem with crashes in Word that seem to point to the
problem with a corrupted "Normal" template. The "crash" really is a failed
start of the program - either from a document in the windows explorer list or
the icon. Soon after the program boots and as the first open document opens
the program crashes. About 75% of the time the third or fourth try will
successfully open the program.

I have run a "Repair" install with my original install discs. No help there.

So before I can take the time to figure out how to permanently fix this I'd
like to understand where all the templates are and be able to clear out any
offenders. Research points to Normal.dotx.

I ran a search for "normal.dotx" and amazingly, no files/locations were
found! Now why can't this location be in the Help files? It makes me crazy
that there aren't more details in those files.

Just in case... could this be related? I am the sole user and administrator
of this Lenovo laptop, running Vista Business. However, I am prevented - when
navigating in the C-drive - from entering the folders "Documents and
Settings" or in my own Document folder "Application Data" or "Local
Settings". I have been trying to research that, too, but do not believe it's
related to my problem (but could be wrong so I mention it.)

So, I need the location and access for normal.dotx. Can anyone makea
suggestion?

Thanks, in advance.

Jonathan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

You can determine the location of the templates by clicking on the Office
button then on Word Options and then on Advanced and scroll down to the
General section of the dialog and click on the File Locations button and
then select the User Templates item and click on Modify.

In Vista, it will usually be c:\Users\[user
name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Jonathan" jonathan7zerozero7(use numbers) at yahew dot usual domain wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The normal template for Word 2007 is normal.dotm and if you have not changed
the location where Word stores its templates you can find it by typing
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates
in the Address bar of Explorer.