Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Taras49 Taras49 is offline

Default How do I open my Word Doc right where I ended

I have a 100 page journal converted from a "WordPerfect" program. In
WordPerfect, when I opened the document I automatically went to the end of
the document where I could pick up where I left off. In "Word" I open the
doc at page one. can I open the doc at the end of the doc?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:51:01 -0700, Taras49
wrote:

I have a 100 page journal converted from a "WordPerfect" program. In
WordPerfect, when I opened the document I automatically went to the end of
the document where I could pick up where I left off. In "Word" I open the
doc at page one. can I open the doc at the end of the doc?

If you just want to go to the end of the document, press Ctrl+End.

If you want to return to the last place that was edited, wherever that
may be, when the document opens, press Shift+F5 (the shortcut for the
GoBack command).

If you have Word 2007, unfortunately GoBack works only for documents
saved in Word 97-2003 format. In earlier versions, if you have trouble
getting GoBack to work, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/GoBackFix.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can easily work around the problem with a few simple macros stored in
the normal template. These intercept the save and saveas routines to insert
a bookmark at the cursor position and locate the cursor at that bookmark (if
present) when the document is next opened. If you already have macros with
these names, incorporate the code in those macros.

Sub FileSave()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, name:="OpenAt"
ActiveDocument.Save
End Sub

Sub FileSaveAs()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, name:="OpenAt"
Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
'Add filename and path to title bar
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
End Sub

I have added a couple of optional extra lines in the following (and one in
the previous macro) -

Sub AutoOpen()
'add filename and path to title bar
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
'turn on table grid line display
ActiveWindow.View.TableGridlines = True
If ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("OpenAt") = True Then
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("OpenAt").Select
End If
End Sub

to ensure that gridlines are always displayed and to put the filename and
path in the Word title bar.