Dave Neve

Default Splitting and joining tables

Hello

I can not see a button to split a table into two or to join two tables into
one.

How is this done please? (just a pointer in the right direction should be
enough unless it is complicated)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Stefan Blom

To split a table, click Split Table on the Table menu.

To connect two tables, delete the paragraph mark that separates them.

If tables are separated not only by the paragraph mark but also by text,
you would of course have to delete that to -- or cut and paste it to a
different location.

You may want to display nonprinting marks so that you'll be able to see
paragraph marks. Click the "Show/Hide ¶" button on the Standard toolbar.
Paragraph marks will display as "¶":

|---|--|
| | |
|---|--|

|---|--|
| | |
|---|--|

Note that you cannot connect tables with text wrapping set (on the Table
tab of TableTable Properties).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dave Neve" wrote in message
Hello

I can not see a button to split a table into two or to join two tables
into
one.

How is this done please? (just a pointer in the right direction should
be
enough unless it is complicated)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave Neve

Hi

Thanks for the tip.

The splitting works ok but not the combining of tables.

A thick line remains where the two tables are combined and when I run
'sort', the words in the second table remain 'unsorted' and are not
incorporated into my main table (the first one)

Any ideas on this please

"Dave Neve" wrote in message
Hello

I can not see a button to split a table into two or to join two tables
into
one.

How is this done please? (just a pointer in the right direction should
be
enough unless it is complicated)

Thanks in advance

Dave

The usual reasons for this a

1. The top row of the second table is marked as a heading row.

2. One or more of the tables is wrapped (on the Table tab of Table
Properties, make sure wrapping is set to None).

3. Something else. I've seen this problem in a document where nothing I
tried worked, and I had to conclude that the document was corrupt.

In your case, though, given the "thick line," I'd suggest that there might
be an "invisible" paragraph between the tables. If it's Hidden, then
displaying nonprinting characters will reveal it, but if it's been formatted
as 1 point, it will be harder to flush out. Try selecting the space between
the tables and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar (in the hope that the font size is
direct formatting) or apply Normal style.

"Dave Neve" wrote in message
Hello

I can not see a button to split a table into two or to join two tables
into
one.

How is this done please? (just a pointer in the right direction should
be
enough unless it is complicated)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave Neve

Hi

I'm getting there but...
The two tables seem like one (the 'sort' function works) but there is still
some different behaviour between the original table and the table which was
added today (the cell margins are not the same)

When I try to standardize a line which has been added today, all the lines
added today are changed (although they are no longer together after sorting)

It's like there are still two tables within each other and they are not
behaving quite the same way.

Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks

PS I tried to copy into this message two adjacent lines which are different
but in html display, one of the lines went off the page while the other was
ok. So there is definately a difference between them.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" a écrit dans le message de news:
The usual reasons for this a

1. The top row of the second table is marked as a heading row.

2. One or more of the tables is wrapped (on the Table tab of Table
Properties, make sure wrapping is set to None).

3. Something else. I've seen this problem in a document where nothing I
tried worked, and I had to conclude that the document was corrupt.

In your case, though, given the "thick line," I'd suggest that there might
be an "invisible" paragraph between the tables. If it's Hidden, then
displaying nonprinting characters will reveal it, but if it's been
formatted
as 1 point, it will be harder to flush out. Try selecting the space
between
the tables and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar (in the hope that the font size is
direct formatting) or apply Normal style.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Dave Neve" wrote in message
Hello

I can not see a button to split a table into two or to join two tables
into
one.

How is this done please? (just a pointer in the right direction should
be
enough unless it is complicated)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Klaus Linke

Hi Dave,

You could try the following:
-- Apply a table style (say Table Grid)... If the difference is due to
different cell paddings..., that should take care of it.
-- Unfortunartely, not all table properties are set back when you apply a
table style, so select the table, go into "Table Properties", check the
different tabs, and look for grayed items (indicating that they are not the
same for all cells in the table).
-- Select the table and use ResetPara (Ctrl+Q)... If the difference is due
to manual paragraph formatting, that fixes things.
-- Select the table and use Ctrl+Shift+N (= apply Normal style)... in case
the difference is in paragraph styles.
-- Select the table and use ResetChar (Ctrl+Spacebar) ... in case it's
different font formatting or character styles.

Maybe you need a combination. At least, this should help to home in on the
kind of formatting that's responsible.

Regards,
Klaus