Posted to microsoft.public.access.queries,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Suttkus, II

Default Word was unable to open the data source.

I have a mail merge to email document set up. It reads from a very
complicated Access query. When I first set it up, it worked perfectly.

Subsequently, when I have tried to open it, I get this error message:

"Word was unable to open the data source. "

Scanning through MSDN articles, the most probably relevant information I can
find is in this one:

It claims that Word cannot (and hasn't been able to for five years and three
versions), run an SQL query with more than 255 characters. Well, my query
has over a thousand.

Since I ran the query successfully once (actually, several times the first
day), is this not actually the problem? Should I be looking for something
else?

Presuming that this is the problem, I can see no effective way of shortening
it. Does anyone know of any workaround to this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.access.queries,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[MVP] S.Clark

Decomplicate the Access Query. I'm gonna guess that you have about 15
instances of IIF() in it. Do I win a prize?

Feel free to post the SQL to get a second opinion

--
Steve Clark, Access MVP
http://www.fmsinc.com/consulting

"Michael Suttkus, II" Do Not Email wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.access.queries,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have had similar problems automating a mail merge for the secretaries
at my office. The solution is to use the complicated query as a
maketable and run a simplified query off that table. It is easy to do
this all programmatically and I will post a solution if you would like.

Posted to microsoft.public.access.queries,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael Suttkus, II

It did, but since I've gotten hold of it, I've whittled the number down to
four. Each is still multi-clause, though.