Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dudley Rose

Default Page numbering problem in multisection document when formatting co

I have a multisection document that a program Living Cookbook generates
through a Word template. It comprises a title page section, a table of
contents section, a section of recipes, and an index section. Page numbers
begin at the recipe section. If I highligh ingredients of one of the
recipes, for example, and farmat them into 2 columns, the following page
number changes to 2. I can go into the footers and eventually set each page
number (although I usually have to set it at 1 minus the page I want) and get
it fixed. But there must be a way to avoid this problem and the associated
page by page fix.

I have looked through several of the help pages on page numbers and
sections, but nothing seems to apply to this problem, at least as I can
figure out. I'm glad to provide an example file; although that doesn't seem
possiblewithin the newsgroup.

Thank you,
Dudley Rose
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

When you add column formatting, you are adding section breaks. You may be
pushing pages around when you do this. Consider using a two-column
(borderless) table instead of column formatting.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dudley Rose" Dudley wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dudley Rose

Default Page numbering problem in multisection document when formattin

Charles, thank you. The problem is that the items I want to format into
columns will already be in the document. That is, I highlight a list of
recipe ingredients and then format them into two columns. Is there a way to
easily get such existing text into table form? I've not been able to see how.

Thanks,
Dudley

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

If the items to be in the two columns are already separated by tabs, you can
use Convert Text to Table.
Otherwise, if it is simply a long column, create your table and cut 1/2 of
the column and paste into the first table cell and then paste the other half
into the second cell.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dudley Rose

Charles, this is very helpful. The only difficulty with the forst option is
when one of the items wraps, it leaves the opposite column with a gap. So, I
think the second idea, cutting and pasting half the culmn works a little
better. I wish there were a more automated way to accomplish the task, or at
least fewer steps, but I guess not. I do find Word's placing ownership of
page numbers in the sections, or at least the way they behave, to be less
than ideal.

Thanks again,
Dudley