Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mary branscombe

Default Word should allow me to sync find/replace options I choose again

Suggestion. When I find and replace, I can go back and choose something I've
looked for, or something I've replaced. Picking what I looked for from the
list doesn't change what I'm replacing; it would be nice to have an option
that says 'replace with the same text used last time' so that when I pick
FindText1 I get ReplaceText1 in the replace box automatically - make it a
checkbox so it's not the default behaviour. when i have a set of Find/Replace
changes to make in several different documents, this would save time and
avoid msitakes.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Even better would be to have a selection of F&R "profiles" or something akin
to AutoText entries that would be saved between Word sessions. There are
certain combinations I search for repeatedly (two spaces with one space,
^p^p wit ^p, etc.), and it would be neat to be able to just say, use F&R
combination 1, 2, 3, or whatever.

"mary branscombe" wrote in
message ...
Suggestion. When I find and replace, I can go back and choose something

I've
looked for, or something I've replaced. Picking what I looked for from the
list doesn't change what I'm replacing; it would be nice to have an option
that says 'replace with the same text used last time' so that when I pick
FindText1 I get ReplaceText1 in the replace box automatically - make it a
checkbox so it's not the default behaviour. when i have a set of

Find/Replace
changes to make in several different documents, this would save time and
avoid msitakes.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Still not presuaded to go the vba route then

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

You could use our WordPipe search/replace application. It can store
hundreds of search/replaces together, although it is intended for
automatic processing of thousands of documents, rather than on just one
document.

Regards,

Simon Carter, DataMystic Melbourne, Australia
www.datamystic.com +61.3.98028880 (GMT+10 hours)
TextPipe: Text Conversion, Transformation, Cleansing and Extraction
Workbench
PCMAG - "The ultimate text conversion and manipulation tool"
Online Demo: www.datamystic.com/tpdemo

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wouldn't know what to ask for. A single macro including all the
possibilities is not practical (the replacement requirements are varied*)
and a separate macro for each possibility would be more trouble than it's
worth. Short of recoding the entire F&R feature, I don't see this being
really very helpful.

*For the project I'm currently working on, they include:
Multiple spaces with single space
Multiple paragraph marks with single paragraph mark
Tab character with nothing
Space + paragraph mark with paragraph mark
Paragraph mark + space with paragraph mark
Space + en dash (or hyphen) + space with em dash
Probably others that I'm forgetting

No one document will require all of the above, but most will require at
least a couple. The current project is short stories by dozens of writers,
most of whom tend to use Normal style exclusively, press Tab for a
first-line indent, press Enter twice to add space, space twice between
sentences, and invariably leave a lot of stray spaces and empty paragraphs
because they work with nonprinting characters hidden (typically there will
be the better part of a pageful of empty paragraphs at the end of the
document and usually at least one space at the end of every paragraph). And
this doesn't even count the ones that "right-align" copy by pressing Tab
repeatedly or the ones that center titles using the spacebar. sigh

?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I know where you are coming from on this - however for such repetitive work
I would setup the strings I wanted to find and replace in arrays as shown
below. Each item in the list vFindText is replaced by the corresponding
entry in the list vReplText. The macro then runs each (wildcard) replacement
in turn. By editing those two strings you can quickly setup a variety of
replacements.

In this instance, groups of spaces are replaced with one
A space before a paragraph mark is removed
A space after a paragraph mark is removed
Groups of paragraph marks are replaced with one
Tabs are removed
and spaces with en-dashes(^0150) or hyphens are replaced with em-dashes
(^0151)

Sub ReplaceList()
Dim vFindText As Variant
Dim vReplText As Variant
Dim i As Long

vFindText = Array(" {1,}", "^13 ", " ^13", "^13{1,}", "^t", " [^0150-] ")
vReplText = Array(" ", "^p", "^p", "^p", "", "^0151")

Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
With Selection.Find
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = True
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Format = True
.MatchCase = True
For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText)
.Text = vFindText(i)
.Replacement.Text = vReplText(i)
.Execute replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next i
End With
End Sub

?

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mary branscombe

Default Word should allow me to sync find/replace options I choose aga

VBA is great - but if the options are built in more people will be able to
find and use them. I know of plenty of collections of VBA macros to do these
sets of replacements, but there's all the effort of finding, installing and
allowing them on each machine. fine for an experienced user, less so for the
novice who'd really find them helpful...