Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Zuelke

Default Auto Text Entries in Protected Forms

I feel bad I need to come back and ask for some pointers, you've all been a
great help in the past.

We have a large network of computers, all of which are using a series of
network-based forms, saved as MS Word Templates. Most are using Word 2000
and above, on machines ruinning no less than Windows 2000.

To facilitate users being able to customize their Normal.dot, the Normal
template is stored in a network drive that only they can access. The
machines were individually pathed to have the User Templates pathed to their
network location.

This has worked fine for a couple of years now, everyone has been happy.
They have been able to create auto text entries and use them in forms, even
when the form was in a protected state. Recently, some work stations have
been moved and persons have been assigned to other computers. When the new
machines are pathed to their network drives, the autotext entries are
present- but only partially populate- unless the document is unlocked. If
the document is unlocked, all works well, and they can resecure the document
using a toolbar relock I developed with assistance from this group. However,
the form field disappears, making it impossible for them to relock the
document and add additional data. This resolution is cumbersome in any
event. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this phemomena?

Any changes to programs have always resulted in upgrade of operating system
and/or version of Word, so I can't see it being a generational problem.

Thanks for any input.
--
Steve Zuelke
Federal Programs Coordinator
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You should not be sharing normal.dot. Ever.

You can share AutoText very easily without sharing normal.dot. Just put the
AutoText in a separate template that you can share. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.

How are you "populating" AutoText entries? What do you mean by this?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Steve Zuelke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Zuelke

Pewrhaps I wasn't clear. Each user has a specific network "folder" in which
an individual copy of normal.dot is stored. Their User Templates are mapped
to this drive and location. Joe Smith, Jane Doe, John Public each have a
copy of normal.dot that no one else accesses or customizes. They do not
share auto text entries, each develop their own suited to their writing style.

When in a form field, typically, they start typing the shorthand entry, when
the autotext prompt displays they hit enter and the text populates.

We came to the individualized normal.dot template in a proprietary user
folder when we encountered problems with using a template file. Too many
users were unfamiliar with the process of building and saving such a file, we
took advantage of the automatic save to Normal.dot when Word shuts down.

This is only affecting three users that were switched among work stations.
As far as I can tell, this seems to be a versions issue, but as they
upgraded, I'm perplexed as to why a higher generation would be having
problems with a lower generation.

I appreciate your input.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I'm still not sure I understand what is happening. In any case, for users
where the AutoText is not popping up in the form fields, have them try
pressing the F3 key after typing the name of the AutoText entry. Does that
work? (I'm suggesting this both as a workaround and a diagnostic.)
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Steve:

Check their Macro Security settings. Chances are the new workstations are
set to the default "High" which is not enabling your macro to run.

Also check that those copies of Word have the network location set as their
"User templates" location, and or the location of your add-in set as the
"Workgroup templates" location.

I suggest this is a "macro silently disabled by macro security" problem,
which is more intrusive in Word 2003 than it is in Word 2002 or Word 2000.

But I'm guessing :-)

On 3/3/06 5:51 AM, in article
, "Steve Zuelke"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410