Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sksmith2517

Default Can I lock the toolbars?

In my computer lab, I'd like to create a set way that the toolbars appear for
each class that enters the lab. Is there a way I can set them and LOCK them?
On a PC it takes a tad more for the toolbar to be closed, and on a Mac it's
easier since a user may quickly click on the close button, but I want to be
able to LOCK them so that they're always available. Can this be done? Thanx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Version of Word?

Simpler is to make them always appear when Word starts. Would that be
sufficient?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"sksmith2517" wrote in message
In my computer lab, I'd like to create a set way that the toolbars appear
for
each class that enters the lab. Is there a way I can set them and LOCK
them?
On a PC it takes a tad more for the toolbar to be closed, and on a Mac
it's
easier since a user may quickly click on the close button, but I want to
be
able to LOCK them so that they're always available. Can this be done?
Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Yes. The simplest way is to replace each user's Normal.dot template when
they login.

As part of your login script, you copy a default Normal.dot into the user's
User Templates folder each time the user logs on.

This obliterates almost all the customisations a previous user could do.

Another way to do this is to install Office as "Run from Network". You can
then set all of the preference files to Read Only, so all users get a
default version each time they open the application.

Tip: If you're going to do that, put a copy of Normal.dot in the same
folder as Winword.exe (the main executable) and lock it read-only. If Word
finds a copy of Normal in the application folder, it will use it in
preference to any other copy on the machine.

Hope this helps

On 9/3/06 10:31 AM, in article
, "sksmith2517"
wrote:

In my computer lab, I'd like to create a set way that the toolbars appear for
each class that enters the lab. Is there a way I can set them and LOCK them?
On a PC it takes a tad more for the toolbar to be closed, and on a Mac it's
easier since a user may quickly click on the close button, but I want to be
able to LOCK them so that they're always available. Can this be done? Thanx

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410