Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
keats

Default automating a document

i am interested in finding the most efficient way to automate a document. my
document is actually a model or format document. the dynamic language in the
document is either text or numbers (math cacluations).

i want to use something a bit more powerful than search and replace for the
text changes. i realize bookmarks and field codes are options. here are my
questions. which are easier to use and where should they be kept. Inside
the document (i.e. input pages at front of document) or external (another
word document or another office progam (such as access).

second, for the numerical replacements, in the past, I have calculated these
in excel, then had manually enterered them into an access database, whereby
they were "merged" into my source document. the problem here is I was
retyping much of the workbook or spreadsheet data more than once. I have
pretty much decided to group calculations in my document and just paste
special or paste special link from my workbooks into the document.

in summary, i am changing a lot of similar text fields and a lot of similar
number fields in my document and i just want to type the change in one place.
i would like to graduate from search and replace, so should i consider
bookmarks or field codes in a merge document?

thanks for your input.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Stream-of-consciousness is no way to write a specification. If you want a
meaningful answer you're going to have to bite the bullet and write a
meaningful question. From your current text there's no way to interpret
'efficient', 'bit more powerful', 'easier' etc: the 'right' answer for your
requirement (whatever the hell it is) might be anything: mailmerge, a
userform with a set of document variables, an Access form ....

"keats" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
keats

so delicately put, jezebel.

"bookmarks and field codes are options for replacing text. here are my

"keats" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Which 'field codes' do you have in mind? - there are dozens.But neither
bookmarks nor field codes are options for replacing text (do you mean
'duplicating' ?). Neither can be kept outside the document.

I *think* you're asking about methods for repeating text through the
document. The two common methods are --

1) Bookmark the first instance and use REF fields thereafter.

2) Add the information as document properties or document variables, then
use DocProperty or DocVariable fields to display the text in the document.

There are pros and cons to both methods; the choice depends on what you are
trying to do.

"keats" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"keats" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Bookmarks and Fields must both be in the document you intend to output (the
final result).

Bookmarks specify named ranges into which you can insert text.

Fields specify macros and parameters that enable you to compute and display
text as a result.

Fields of type INCLUDETEXT can be used to import information from other
documents (but I would try to avoid this: it's not very stable).

Look up "Cross references" and "Document properties" in the Help. I think
either of these will do what you want.

Cheers

On 11/3/06 11:47 PM, in article
, "keats"

"keats" wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410