Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
White Shoes

Default Help-Unique Page Numbering for additional pages inserted into docu

In WP Office XP 2003, am trying to insert several sets of new, supplemental
pages into an existing 100-page document originally done in Word97.

I want to number the new pages as, for example 75.1, 75.2 (leaving up to
page 75 as is), leave page 76 as is, add pages 76.1, 76.2, and then leave the
remaining pages as is, starting with 77.

Have tried various ways to do this - unsuccessfully - after reviewing MVP
FAQ and some threads, a couple Word books, and other websites. I have
probably missed a tip/trick/secret-handshake/code, however, since its been a
long time since I've had to do this, so the issue could be between the chair
and the keyboard !

Tried sections, chapters, manual, etc. It seems no matter what I do, I
can't even use decimals or alphas following the page number 75.1 (or 75a) and
the like, and it always renumbers and throws off the remaining pages.

Any advice is welcome - even add-ins if that will solve the problem.

Thanks very much !
--
White Shoes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You'll need several section breaks, and it will be a real pain, but here's
how.

1. Pages 1-74: No change.

2. Insert a section break before page 75; on the Layout tab of Page Setup.

3. View | Header and Footer. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click the
Page Setup button and check "Different first page." You should now be in the
First Page Headerof the new section. Switch to the First Page Footer if
that's where the page numbering should be.

4. Unlink the First Page Header/Footer from any previous First Page
Header/Footer (by clicking the Same as Previous/Link to Previous button to
turn it off), then type 75 where you want the page number to be.

5. Click Show Next to go to the Header/Footer of the new section. Unlink it
from the previous section and type 75, followed by a period, then click the
Insert Page Number button. Click Format Page Number and set the numbering to
start from 0.

6. Insert another section break before page 76. Repeat steps 2-5 (using 76
instead of 75).

7. Insert another section break before page 77. Unlink the Header/Footer
(and First Page Header/Footer, if any) and set the numbering to start from
77.

"White Shoes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

1. Add section breaks before and after the inserted pages.
2. Clear the 'Same as previous' setting for the header or footer that shows
the page numbers.
3. Set the inserted pages to restart numbering at 1, and enter the page
number as 75.{ PAGE}
4. Set the following section to start numbering at 76.

But if you're asking for advice: don't do it. It's a whole lot of extra
work, it makes the document a disaster to maintain, it screws up the TOC and
index, and worst of all, readers HATE it. People are quite accustomed to
page numbers changing in a document's subsequent edition; and they expect
them to be sequential integers.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
White Shoes

Default Help-Unique Page Numbering for additional pages inserted into

Thanks to you all very much ! (have yet to try it but it sounds good)
Excellent comment on pagination, and appreciate the advice. In this case, the
supplemental pages are just an interim decimal update until the document is
rewritten as a new full version in late summer/early fall. It is a very
technical document for a niche community, and they're used to looking in it
for reference and the user group indicated to keep the pagination intact to
the extent possible for these minor updates. Think we'll change to chapter
numbering for the new version.

Thanks again for te thorough and quick replies !

Ron Van Duyne
--
White Shoes

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
White Shoes

Thanks again. I tried the section breaks (I believe as indicated) but each
time it inserts a new blank page. This may be me again - sorry if this is a
doh !
--
White Shoes

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Make sure a) it's an ordinary new-page section break, not a next odd/even,
and b) the first paragraph of the following page isn't set for 'Page break
before'.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'll second what Jezebel has said. Also see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm for further
arguments.

so
all may benefit.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jewel Jewel is offline

Urgent. I need your help. I am updating the subject document which is below
that you previously paginated. My question is I need to add additional pages
to each section so that each section is paginated correctly. For example, I
now want page J-2 changed to page K-1, page J-3 changed to page L-1 and page
J-4 changed to page M-1. Please send me step by step instructions using
print screen captions if possible.

Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Jewel,

To get consecutive K-1, L-1, M-1 page numbering, you can use a page number
field with the format set to A, B, C to get the K, L, M, and then type the
dash and the 1 manually. For the page number field--View | Header/Footer,
click on Format Page Number on the header/footer toolbar, and change the
Number Format and the Starting Number. Enter a new page field if necessary.

Possibly you don't realize that sending screenshots ("print screen
captions") is a lot of work, and seeming to demand them doesn't make anyone
want to help you. Remember, email can't carry tone of voice.

Also, your question doesn't make any sense, as the doc discussed in this
thread doesn't have any J-pages. So it's totally unclear what your doc looks
like or why you are having problems. If the above doesn't work, you'll need
to explain the problem more carefully.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/