Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
warmtobe

Default How to copy a customized Outline Numbered (in Word) to a diff

Hi Charles,
I tried to do it the "Microsoft" way but not sure if we did it exactly
right. Looked at the pages that you sent and they seem to explain how to
create them the right way .. but I never did see anything about how to get
them from one PC to a different one on those pages. I wanted to go ahead
and try moving them over and then see if they'll work. What's the actual
physical process of copying them over .. They don't seem to be built into a
template since when I add an Outline Numbered list, it shows up in all
document types. How do I try to get it over to another PC without having to
recreate it?
Thanks,
Gary

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless your headings were created
using the steps shown in the following articles, they won't transfer: How to
create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This method is not easy until you become accustomed to it. It is not
intuitive. It does work. It is necessary with all versions of Word.

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Legal Numbering
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

Seven Laws of Outline Numbering
http://www.microsystems.com/fra_seve...enumbering.htm

There are terms for numbering schemes that are not created this way and are
edited on different computers. The nice term is "spaghetti numbering."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"warmtobe" wrote in message
We spent a lot of time customizing the outline for Legal documents and
need
to get the same Outline list to 7-8 PC's .. I really don't want to have to
recreate it 7-8 times. Is there a way to copy it from one PC to another?
This is in Word when you go to 'Format', 'Bullets and Numbering' and then
pick the "Outline Numbered" and highlight one and pick "Customize"
Thank you,
Gary Harris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

That is not the "Microsoft way" it is the only way that works with Outline
numbering. Unless you created them that way, exactly, moving them will not
work reliably.

You move them by moving the templates holding the styles or using the
Organizer to copy the styles, copying three times to re-establish links
between styles.