Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Roscoe

Default Extraneous tabs in Table Of Content styles

Help! I have a Table of Contents (TOC) in my document that upon every
update reinserts an extraneous tab stop that I have to delete (CTRL-Q
works). I am using Word 2003, SP-3.

The stop shows up about 1.1 inches from the left, coincidentally the
same spot the TOC 3 style has the first tab (correctly placed).
Problem is one line is so short that this extraneous tab catches the
page number rather than the intended tab stop that's aligned with the
right margin. I have looked at the TOC 1 style and it does not show
the tab, and I have looked where one creates the TOC and can modify the
TOC 1-9 styles, and verified the TAB stop is NOT there either. WHERE
is this tab coming from and why does it keep reappearing?

I read the MVPS document about "Jason Tabs" but it did not change
anything. Note I am not using header styles but TOC entry fields.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Roscoe,

If you look in the Modify Style dialog box, on which style is TOC1 based?
Check the definition for that style, perhaps it contains the tab stop.

Help! I have a Table of Contents (TOC) in my document that upon every
update reinserts an extraneous tab stop that I have to delete (CTRL-Q
works). I am using Word 2003, SP-3.

The stop shows up about 1.1 inches from the left, coincidentally the
same spot the TOC 3 style has the first tab (correctly placed).
Problem is one line is so short that this extraneous tab catches the
page number rather than the intended tab stop that's aligned with the
right margin. I have looked at the TOC 1 style and it does not show
the tab, and I have looked where one creates the TOC and can modify the
TOC 1-9 styles, and verified the TAB stop is NOT there either. WHERE
is this tab coming from and why does it keep reappearing?

I read the MVPS document about "Jason Tabs" but it did not change
anything. Note I am not using header styles but TOC entry fields.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Roscoe

TOC 1 based on Normal, and no it doesn't have the stop either.
Remember, CTRL-Q restores a style back to it's definded settings
(removing any customizations) and it works, so Word thinks that the
extra tab was added.

There are lots of messages about this, but none of the recommended
fixes I found have worked.

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm

"Roscoe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody else?

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
[...]

or

Table autoformats and paragraph styles Jackie Tables 3 April 3rd 06 08:43 AM
Custom Styles Questions Kim Microsoft Word Help 1 February 10th 06 10:09 PM
Do table styles work? K Zany Tables 2 June 11th 05 04:44 PM
Wrapping text around a table using styles Richard Munro Page Layout 1 May 5th 05 03:40 AM
Table of Content problem Vincdc Microsoft Word Help 6 December 23rd 04 08:01 PM