Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steven

Default Bug for Table of Content

I just try to make a Table of Content in Word 2007.
I work like this:

1. Ctrl+Enter in page1
2. Type "Test1" in page2, Ctrl+Enter
2. Type "Test2" in page3, Ctrl+Enter
3. Type "Test3" in page4, Ctrl+Enter
4. Type "Test4" in page5
6. In Page1, I add the Table of Content
7. For each word, I choose them to Level1

Bugs:
1. The Word automatically cancel the page break for each word and become
something like
"Test1

Test2

Test3

Test4"
in the same page.

2. I tried to add Page breaks again. However, after enter page breaks, and
updating the table of content, hte page number is not changed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Steven

Steven wrote:
I just try to make a Table of Content in Word 2007.
I work like this:

1. Ctrl+Enter in page1
2. Type "Test1" in page2, Ctrl+Enter
2. Type "Test2" in page3, Ctrl+Enter
3. Type "Test3" in page4, Ctrl+Enter
4. Type "Test4" in page5
6. In Page1, I add the Table of Content
7. For each word, I choose them to Level1

Don't use hard page breaks like this (at least not in structured
documents). If you want each heading to start on a new page, use a
paragraph style (Microsoft suggests you use "Heading 1") and set its
paragraph property to "Page Break Before".

If you only want this property on some (level 1) headings and not on
all, then add the property manually as direct paragraph formatting.

Bugs:
1. The Word automatically cancel the page break for each word and become
something like
"Test1

Test2

Test3

Test4"
in the same page.

You are talking about the result of the TOC field? Well, that's one
reason not to use hard page breaks: they don't constitute an
end-of-paragraph marker, so to speak. IOW, your document may consist of
2 paragraphs only (1st one for the TOC, 2nd and last one for all headings.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS