Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

Default SET Field limitations

I have a client who is merging data extracted from a database table to a Word
Template. The user is merging to a bookmark name "roster" by way of a set
field that looks like this:

{set roster \*MERGEFORMAT}

The problem is that the merge fails after 80 records or so, even though the
data set returned by the query numbers in the 100's. My question is, is
there a limit to how much text can be merged to a bookmark by this field code?

--
Kevin Backmann
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2003, I think the limit is essentially "if you can bookmark it, you
can set a SET to it "- e.g. experimentally, I have used a SET to set a
bookmark to scores of pages of text - well over typical 16-bit limits such
as 65536 characters)

Unless your client is using an earlier version of Word (perhaps Word 97 or
even 2000) where the limits may well be different, I would guess that any
limit is much more likely to be a result of the data source and/or how Word
is connecting to it. In some cases, there might be "unusual" characters such
as double-quote characters in the text that are causing problems.

So...which version of Word, and what is the data source?

Peter Jamieson