Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

Default Footer margin, text margin, and bottom of page problems

The dissertation style requires the bottom margin be 1 inch from the bottom
of the page, and the page number be at the top of the 1 inch bottom margin,
so it is 1 inch from the bottom of the page. I have set the Footer Margin in
Page Setup to 1 inch, and the Page margin to 1 inch which I thought was the
right way to set the margin to get the required margin. However, now I have
a 2 inch margin at the page number and the text starts one line directly
above the page number. What is the right way to get the bottom margin I
need? Are there other settings within Word, printer settings or ?? that
could affect the footer margin?

I've checked the usual Help commands and Assistance as well as Knowledge
Base and haven't found an answer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Go to the Layout tab on the Page Setup dialog. Set the Footer 'From edge'
value. That's the distance from the bottom of the paper to the bottom of the
footer text. (To be precise, to the bottom of the text plus any 'Space
after' value for your footer style.)

The bottom margin you've been setting is the distance from the bottom of the
paper to the bottom of the body text; but Word increases the value as
necessary so your text doesn't over run the footer. You normally want the
bottom margin value to be sufficiently larger than the footer value to allow
for the height of the footer plus the distance between the footer and the
text.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

I have Layout, From edge, Footer, 1" and Margins, Bottom 1" which I assumed
would print the Footer at 1" but that is not what is happening. The Footer
is just a centered page number so there is no additional content that is
pushing up the footer. So is that what you mean?

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The 1" footer margin puts the *bottom* of the footer at 1", which means that
the page number pushes up into the body text. If you want a 1" bottom margin
for the body, you need to set the footer margin sufficiently smaller to
allow for the height of the page number. If the page number is 12-point
Times New Roman, that means you need to allow a minimum of 14.4 points.
Since 1" = 72 points, that means that the footer margin should be no more
than 0.8" (14.4 points = 0.2").

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Setting the line spacing to "Exactly" would imply easier calculations here, I
guess.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Terri

Terri wrote:
The dissertation style requires the bottom margin be 1 inch from the bottom
of the page, and the page number be at the top of the 1 inch bottom margin,
so it is 1 inch from the bottom of the page.

With no space between the text area and the page number? Slap thoroughly
whoever made these requirements, I say!

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

I have tried dozens of times to fix this problem before going through this
list to get some solutions for this problem. I am posting this problem here
because I thought there was something I was overlooking, or there was some
other setting I was missing. This is a place to get HELP from other users,
not criticism.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you read the part where I said, "If you want a 1" bottom margin for the
body"? I thought that implied that the bottom margin would remain at 1". But
also see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The 1" footer margin puts the *bottom* of the footer at 1", which means

that
the page number pushes up into the body text. If you want a 1" bottom

margin
for the body, you need to set the footer margin sufficiently smaller to
allow for the height of the page number. If the page number is 12-point
Times New Roman, that means you need to allow a minimum of 14.4 points.
Since 1" = 72 points, that means that the footer margin should be no

more
than 0.8" (14.4 points = 0.2").

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

??
that
could affect the footer margin?

I've checked the usual Help commands and Assistance as well as

Knowledge
Base and haven't found an answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It seems you didn't read any of the posts carefully and to the end, so my
guess is your empirical observations are sloppy too. Perhaps it would be
better if you abandoned your dissertation before you start f***ing up the
real world too.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

I asked for confirmation of the margin settings because after changing the
margins as you suggested the text is still showing up as 2 inches from the
bottom of the page.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

Hi Robert -- I'm still working on this one. The text and footer are still
too far from the edge (2 inches). The suggestions posted here have not
worked so I'm ready to start troubleshooting the printer driver or have
someone else type the dissertation.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Terri

Terri wrote:
The dissertation style requires the bottom margin be 1 inch from the bottom
of the page, and the page number be at the top of the 1 inch bottom margin,
so it is 1 inch from the bottom of the page.

With no space between the text area and the page number? Slap thoroughly
whoever made these requirements, I say!

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Some old HP printer drivers do this. If you have an HP printer
http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/

Terri wrote:
Hi Robert -- I'm still working on this one. The text and footer are
still too far from the edge (2 inches). The suggestions posted here
have not worked so I'm ready to start troubleshooting the printer
driver or have someone else type the dissertation.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Terri

Terri wrote:
The dissertation style requires the bottom margin be 1 inch from
the bottom of the page, and the page number be at the top of the 1
inch bottom margin, so it is 1 inch from the bottom of the page.

With no space between the text area and the page number? Slap
thoroughly whoever made these requirements, I say!

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you read the referenced article? Also, make sure that there are no empty
paragraphs in your footer. This is easily determined by displaying
nonprinting characters.