Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yorick Yorick is offline

Default Mail merge with documents in SharePoint as data source

We are trying to create a mail merge using a document in SharePoint as the
data source. When linking the document as data source to the main document we
browse to the SharePoint document library using the My Network Places and
select the document. After clicking OK, Word presents the "This file could
not be found" error message.

Does anyone know if this can be done any other way??
We do not have the possibility to use file servers for this, so it must be a
way to use SharePoint somehow.

Regards,

Yorick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I do not know for sure, but I suspect this problem is related to the one
where you cannot use a data source located at an Internet URL (such as an
http: or ftp: address).

Can you assign a drive letter to the document library? If so, you may be
able to do what you want. If not, I suggest you contact MS Support directly
and ask them whether or not it can be done, and if so, how.

Peter Jamieson
"Yorick" wrote in message
We are trying to create a mail merge using a document in SharePoint as the
data source. When linking the document as data source to the main document
we
browse to the SharePoint document library using the My Network Places and
select the document. After clicking OK, Word presents the "This file could
not be found" error message.

Does anyone know if this can be done any other way??
We do not have the possibility to use file servers for this, so it must be
way to use SharePoint somehow.

Regards,

Yorick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dottiemay dottiemay is offline

I've noticed that it doesn't like the internet URL as Peter has indicated. I
usually copy the file path I need (or retype it) and eliminate the http://
portion and precede it with two back slashes \\. That usually works for me.
In other cases, I've mapped a drive letter to the portal library.

"Yorick" wrote in message
We are trying to create a mail merge using a document in SharePoint as the
data source. When linking the document as data source to the main document
we
browse to the SharePoint document library using the My Network Places and
select the document. After clicking OK, Word presents the "This file could
not be found" error message.

Does anyone know if this can be done any other way??
We do not have the possibility to use file servers for this, so it must be
way to use SharePoint somehow.

Regards,

Yorick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yorick Yorick is offline

That was what I noticed as well.
But how do you create a mapping to a SharePoint site or document library.
Both the My Network Places and the "Map Network Drive" refuse to create a
network mapping to a http source.

Yorick