Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macasoga macasoga is offline

Default different margins for different pages without using section breaks

Is this possible? I want text to run from first page (with defined
margins/header) to second page (with different margins/header/footer)
without using section breaks.

The reason I dont' want to use section breaks is because if I copy and paste
text from one document to this document it will recognize it as one piece of
information and when it runs of to another page (or second page) €” it will
pick up the header and footer from the first page not the second page, unless
there is a section break manually inserted. I want this to be automatic
without having to insert a section break. Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bjenks Bjenks is offline

Default different margins for different pages without using section br

I have read this article and although I can change the header and footer for
the 1st and following pages I cannot automatically change the margin. If I
go to the second page header and change the margin to 1" it will change the
first page too. Is there a way based on your article in 2007 to make the
first page have a 1.5" margin with a company logo and then automatically
create on the second page a 1" margin and no logo? I can't get one of the
two, but not both.
--
Bryant

"macasoga" wrote in message
Is this possible? I want text to run from first page (with defined
margins/header) to second page (with different margins/header/footer)
without using section breaks.

The reason I dont' want to use section breaks is because if I copy and

paste
text from one document to this document it will recognize it as one piece

of
information and when it runs of to another page (or second page) €” it will
pick up the header and footer from the first page not the second page,

unless
there is a section break manually inserted. I want this to be automatic
without having to insert a section break. Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You haven't, I take it, read the section entitled "Creating a header for
preprinted letterhead." This explains how to create the different margins.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See the "More complex letterhead" section of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"macasoga" wrote in message
Is this possible? I want text to run from first page (with defined
margins/header) to second page (with different margins/header/footer)
without using section breaks.

The reason I dont' want to use section breaks is because if I copy and

paste
text from one document to this document it will recognize it as one

piece
of
information and when it runs of to another page (or second page) €” it

will
pick up the header and footer from the first page not the second page,

unless
there is a section break manually inserted. I want this to be

automatic
without having to insert a section break. Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bjenks Bjenks is offline

I know you probably hear this all the time.... But I went through that
process over and over today in 2007. I create the second page first with a
1" margin and a performated page number. I also put a .75" margin on the
bottom and a .25" footer with my address on two lines.

Next I go the the header format and selected different first page header.
I then insert my logo into the header area and change the margin to 1.5" and
keep the header the same size.

Now I go into the letter area and start typing letters and hitting enter
over and over until I get a second page that does not have a logo just like I
want it except that the margin is 1.5". So I change that second page margin
to 1" and it looks great. I go back to the first page and it looks great
except the margin is now 1" too.

So I ended up keeping it this way and add two enters on the first page and I
have my artificial 1.5" margin for the first page. Any ideas where I failed?
I didn't seem to have this problem in the old Word of XP.
--
Bryant

"macasoga" wrote in message
Is this possible? I want text to run from first page (with defined
margins/header) to second page (with different margins/header/footer)
without using section breaks.

The reason I dont' want to use section breaks is because if I copy and
paste
text from one document to this document it will recognize it as one

piece
of
information and when it runs of to another page (or second page) €” it

will
pick up the header and footer from the first page not the second page,
unless
there is a section break manually inserted. I want this to be

automatic
without having to insert a section break. Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Set the smaller margin for the pages then create the headers (temporarily
insert a page break to give the two pages). The more you put into the first
page header the more the header space will grow. The subsequent page header
will remain at the smaller size.

"macasoga" wrote in message
Is this possible? I want text to run from first page (with defined
margins/header) to second page (with different
margins/header/footer) without using section breaks.

The reason I dont' want to use section breaks is because if I
copy and paste text from one document to this document it will
recognize it as one piece of information and when it runs of to
another page (or second page) - it will pick up the header and
footer from the first page not the second page, unless there is a
section break manually inserted. I want this to be automatic
without having to insert a section break. Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You've missed the point entirely. You can't change the actual page margin.
As Graham says, you set it for the smaller amount and use the content of the
header to create the larger margin. An oversized header will always push
page content down, whether with actual text or graphics or with Space After
used for this specific purpose.

It may be that perusal of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm would also be in order.

"macasoga" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bjenks Bjenks is offline

I finally figured it out, Thanks... My other problem was that there isn't a
way to set the header size except to go into it and push enter until you get
the header space you need. I kept entering a larger number for the "Header
from Top" which would transfer over to the next page. So all I have to do as
you pointed out is press enter two times in the first page header and presto
it works.
--
Bryant

"macasoga" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, there *is* a way. Instead of pressing Enter twice, apply some Spacing
Before/After to the header paragraph, as described in the article. You
cannot change the top or header margin from one page to the next; you *must*
fake it with added space. Empty paragraphs will certainly do the job, but
they're an inelegant solution.