mike

Default Adjusting Space Between Paragraphs

I would like to know how to get the space between 2 lines of text down
to zero. I actually want the first line to rest on the second line. Why
am I doing this you may ask? It is because I want to scroll saw
someones name as a single piece of wood. For instance. I set the font
size to 150 and then pick a font set uppercase on and set bold on. I
then type JOHN on line 1 and SMITH on line 2. I select the whole name
and center it. Next using character spacing I kern the letters so there
is no space between them. Actually some overlap is not a problem. I can
now print this, temporarily glue it to a piece of wood and then cut it
out. This gives me a piece for each part of the name.
If I can now reduce the space between the 2 lines I can then cut it out
as a single piece. How do I reduce the space between the 2 lines of
text? I have tried Paragraph spacing but have not had any success.
Thanks for any and all help.

Exact paragraph spacing should get you most of the way. Ignore what you see
on the screen, which may show parts of the letters cut off. Test-print till
you get the effect you want. You'll probably need to set the paragraph
spacing to less than the nominal font size. If that doesn't work, you'll
have to overlap a text box over text (give it No Line and No Fill and format
it as In Front Of Text).

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Greg Maxey

Mike,

Try a EQ field. Type EQ \o (Smith, John)
Select it all and press CTRL+F9. Select the Smith, John part and format it
to font 150. Next select the John part and FormatFontCharacter
SpacingPositionRaised and enter 130. ALT+F9 to toggle the code. You may
need to twiddle with the raised value to get the exact effect you want.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

mike wrote:
[...]

mike

Thank you both for your help. I was able to get both methods to
function. I could not get the second method to function when the font
type was Subway. I do not know what that problem may be.

Some fonts have more leading built in.

ups.com...