Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sherry Sherry is offline

Default file fragment problem

My Word program is indiscriminately saving file fragments of docs that I am
working in with file names like: ~ $filename
They will not open as anything from Word and I have several of them in a
couple of hours.
Also, I am encountering hang-ups when attempting to save a file in Word and
the program just ends. When I re-open File recovery gives me the last saved
version, but no auto-saved version. I have auto-save scheduled every 5
minutes.
Is there a connection between the two problems....and help.
I am working on my dissertation and losing pages of info.....help!
Thank you
Sherry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

These are Word's temporary files and they are supposed to be present. The
only time you need concern yourself about them is if they are not removed
when you close Word (and Outlook) as then they can interfere with the smooth
operation of Word - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Sherry wrote:
My Word program is indiscriminately saving file fragments of docs
that I am working in with file names like: ~ $filename
They will not open as anything from Word and I have several of them
in a couple of hours.
Also, I am encountering hang-ups when attempting to save a file in
Word and the program just ends. When I re-open File recovery gives me
the last saved version, but no auto-saved version. I have auto-save
scheduled every 5 minutes.
Is there a connection between the two problems....and help.
I am working on my dissertation and losing pages of info.....help!
Thank you
Sherry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sherry Sherry is offline

I think that is what is happening, the file frsgments do not go away after
closing...and...Word is frquently locking up any suggestions?
--
Sherry

Sherry wrote:
My Word program is indiscriminately saving file fragments of docs
that I am working in with file names like: ~ $filename
They will not open as anything from Word and I have several of them
in a couple of hours.
Also, I am encountering hang-ups when attempting to save a file in
Word and the program just ends. When I re-open File recovery gives me
the last saved version, but no auto-saved version. I have auto-save
scheduled every 5 minutes.
Is there a connection between the two problems....and help.
I am working on my dissertation and losing pages of info.....help!
Thank you
Sherry

Turn off "Fragment (Consider Revising)" message livetohike Microsoft Word Help 2 August 4th 07 05:50 AM
Could someone fix a fragment statement? mango729 Microsoft Word Help 3 June 2nd 07 07:17 PM
File Location Problem pjscott Microsoft Word Help 2 February 9th 07 05:39 PM
PDF file problem drybones New Users 4 May 10th 05 10:37 PM
file problem Anna Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 11:34 PM