Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SusanB SusanB is offline

Default Stop Word from Changing Style

How do I stop Word 2007 from changing the style of my copy when I hit the
Enter key at the end of a line of text? When I type anything, then hit Enter,
Word changes the style to Headline 1, but I usually want it to stay in a text
font. Suggestions on turning this silly thing off?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type. Disable "Define styles based on your formatting.

http://word.mvps.org

"SusanB" wrote in message
How do I stop Word 2007 from changing the style of my copy when I hit the
Enter key at the end of a line of text? When I type anything, then hit
Enter,
Word changes the style to Headline 1, but I usually want it to stay in a
text
font. Suggestions on turning this silly thing off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SusanB SusanB is offline

Suzanne, that did not work. It was already not selected, so I tried it both
ways, and the styles changed after I hit Enter whether or not it was selected.

"SusanB" wrote in message
How do I stop Word 2007 from changing the style of my copy when I hit the
Enter key at the end of a line of text? When I type anything, then hit
Enter,
Word changes the style to Headline 1, but I usually want it to stay in a
text
font. Suggestions on turning this silly thing off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SusanB SusanB is offline

But I searched around and discovered that you were in the right place, but
the correct thing to uncheck is "Apply as you type" -- Built-in Heading
Styles.

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

"SusanB" wrote in message
How do I stop Word 2007 from changing the style of my copy when I hit the
Enter key at the end of a line of text? When I type anything, then hit
Enter,
Word changes the style to Headline 1, but I usually want it to stay in a
text
font. Suggestions on turning this silly thing off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SusanB SusanB is offline

Suzanne, you sent me in the right direction, however. I needed to uncheck
"Built-in Headlines." Thanks!

"SusanB" wrote in message
How do I stop Word 2007 from changing the style of my copy when I hit the
Enter key at the end of a line of text? When I type anything, then hit
Enter,
Word changes the style to Headline 1, but I usually want it to stay in a
text
font. Suggestions on turning this silly thing off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Right, sorry. I discuss all of these at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm (recently updated
for Word 2007, but the update hasn't been published yet).

http://word.mvps.org