Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert Perry

Default how do you append one table to another in Word 2003

I'm having various people enter information in a table. The table is the
same for everyone. I want to combine all the tables into one master
document. I have opened one of the documents and inserted the others in as a
file but they still appear as individual tables not one table. If I want to
add a column I have to do it in each document inserted. Is there another way
to do this so that I end up with one large table?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shauna Kelly

Hi Robert

Click the ¶ button on the toolbar (or do ctrl-Shift-8). You'll see a ¶ sign
for each paragraph. If you have two tables separated by a ¶, then delete it.
The two tables will instantly become one.

For more info about the signs, see
What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my
document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Robert Perry" Robert wrote in message
I'm having various people enter information in a table. The table is the
same for everyone. I want to combine all the tables into one master
document. I have opened one of the documents and inserted the others in
as a
file but they still appear as individual tables not one table. If I want
add a column I have to do it in each document inserted. Is there another
way
to do this so that I end up with one large table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ed

Alas, Word 2003 doesn't reliably append tables. I have two, seven-column
tables from different documents. I copied and pasted one into the other,
fiddled the column widths to make them match up, and removed the little
paragraph mark. The tables appeared to jam together, but didn't join. (For
example, I couold position the cursor in one or the other, click select
table, and only select one of them.)

I tried splitting the second table and re-removing the paragraph mark. No
joy. I tried converting both to text with a variety of separators, then
converting back - and got a variety of entertaining messes - but not the
combined table I was after.

Fortunately, my wife runs Word 2000. I saved the 2003 doc to her laptop,
removed the paragraph mark in 2000, saved it, ran back upstairs, opened the
doc and voila - one table!

So, there is a bug in 2003 that causes this table append to break sometimes.

Ed

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I have experienced this, too, so I can attest that you're not making it up.
Just to be on the safe side, though, make absolutely sure that wrapping on
all the tables is set to "None" and that you have no rows selected as
heading rows in the tables after the first.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ed

Wrapping was off (by chance) and I had turned off heading rows all around,
suspecting that it might be a problem.

So, there is a problem and a workaround. But, my wife tells me that she's
moving to 2003, so I might be back in the market for a more general fix. ...
;-)

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have experienced this, too, so I can attest that you're not making it up.
Just to be on the safe side, though, make absolutely sure that wrapping on
all the tables is set to "None" and that you have no rows selected as
heading rows in the tables after the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andrew Andrew is offline

The best workaround I've found for this is to remove the return of course.
Then hold down the ALT key as you use the mouse to drag the column borders
into alignment. The alt key removes the snap-to feature.

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
Table Incompatibility Between Word 2002 and Word 2003 JCS Documentation Microsoft Word Help 1 October 3rd 05 09:07 AM