Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Octavee Uhl

Default Numbering Style System Problem

Hello,

I have a weird problem with my word xp document.

I have 3 Numbering Styles:

one is called "NumberFirst"
one is called "NumberMiddle"
one is called "NumberLast"

I usually use it this way:
The first paragraph where I use a number uses the style "NumberFirst"
The following paragraphes until the last use "NumberMiddle"
The last paragraph of that list uses "NumberLast"

It looks like this:
this is the normal text

1. test test tes ["NumberFirst" style]
2. test test test ["NumberMiddle" style]
3. test test test ["NumberMiddle" style]
4. test test tes ["NumberMiddle" style]
5. test test test ["NumberLast" style]

this is the normal text.

So far so good.

Now comes the problem. A little later in the document I apply the style
again and now the numbering thinks it should start with

2. test test tes ["NumberFirst" style]
5. test test test ["NumberMiddle" style]
6. test test test ["NumberMiddle" style]
7. test test tes ["NumberMiddle" style]
6. test test test ["NumberLast" style]

etc. When I click on the paragraph formating under numbering it does not
make sense.

How can I make this work so that it always starts at 1 and not thinks it is
following the same style/numbering in a different section.

Thanks so much.

Octavee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke

Hi Octavee,

You probably use three styles to control the spacing?

There's an option to suppress the "space before/after" between paragraphs in
the same style (Modify style Format Paragraph).
Unfortunately, it's an all-or-nothing proposition.

So what I sometimes do is *not* check that option, but use a white border of
6 pt (the maximum allowed value) at the top and bottom in the list style.
Plus 3 pt both "space before" and "space after".

Word will suppress the border between paragraphs of the same style.

So that gives you 3 pt space between list paragraphs (since Word, by
default, uses the maximum of "space before" and "space after"), and 9 pt (6
pt border + 3 pt space) both before and after the list. Which looks pretty
cool g.

It's not a perfect solution though: Word will reserve the 6 pt space for the
border even at the top and bottom of pages. But I can live with that.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You can't have the same level of the same list linked to multiple styles.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke

Here's a different work-around for square bullets (with a screenshot and a
sample doc):
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...&Number=580611

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Klaus

Klaus Linke wrote:
Here's a different work-around for square bullets (with a screenshot and a
sample doc):
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...&Number=580611

That (and your solution, too) are interesting techniques.

I think in some documents I could live with zero spacing before/after
for the middle list items.

With bullets, though, it's easier: you can use two or three (usually,
two is enough IMHO) styles, because numbering is not the issue -- they
may or may not point to the same list template, but even if they're
totally separate, it doesn't matter as long as they use the same bullets
and left indents ... :-)).

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke

It's a nuisance to have to use several different styles. It's just not the
way it's supposed to be.
If you have to, something is wrong with the software you use.

Klaus

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi Klaus

Klaus Linke wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

A different approach (which doesn't rely on suppressing spacing
between paragraphs of the same style) is the following: For the
bulleted list, define Spacing Before (say 12 pt as in your example).
Set Spacing After to zero. For the paragraph after the list, apply a
"Body Text First" style (or whatever you'd like to call it) with a
larger Spacing Before defined. If you are using a first line indent to
indicate a new paragraph, you probably already have such a style,
namely the one you use below headings.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP