Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Leroy Leroy is offline

Default Priceless Word docs open with boxes everywhere

I'm scared at what has suddenly happened: I was creating a Pdf from a Word
doc and cancelled half-way, but resumed a moment later. PDf created fine. But
now all my Word docs in that same folder open as if they are preparing to
become Pdfs: empty boxes replace images and special headings. Inc redibly,
the backup files on my finger drive come out exactly the same. Cold it be
that I have lost ten years of carefully-crafted, family-history work,
beginning with Win95?

I've tried everything on the toolbox I can see but nothing helps. Even new
Word docs have changed: now they open with a thin text-area margin that
nothing will remove (although is not present on a screen print preview). That
never happened before.

I have WinXP-SP2 , running a self-standing Word 2003 (no Office) that has
worked perfectly up to this moment.

I have Adobe Reader and a program called Doc-U-Desk creates my Pdfs. Neither
Adobe nor Doc-U-Desk hint in their FAQ lists at anything like this happening.

I would appreciate ANY tips that might lead me out of this bind.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Does it work OK with Word in its safe mode? Start Word with the CTRL key
pressed.
My guess is that the aborted PDF creation screwed up your Word data key
settings in tools options.
The documents should be OK provided you leave them alone until you have
corrected the settings. Start with tools options view - uncheck picture
place holders.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Leroy Leroy is offline

Voila! Safe mode worked: My Word docs came back in perfect shape. I saved the
two that had previously opened on top of themselves, hoping that this way the
Safe mode becomes fixed. Right now it's late here (Spain) and I haven't got
the energy to see if the fix has been permanent for all my Word files.

Incidentally, I got confused by the original onscreen notice that I couldn't
get into safe mode because a certain file could not be found: PR208246CAB;
and that I should insert the original application disc. I did insert the disc
but there was no indication of what I should do next. In frustration, I
cancelled, and what do you know, there was Safe mode waiting to be opened.

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Safe mode is not a permanent fix. It merely presents Word's defaults. You
need to check the settings in Word tools options.
As for the mising file, repair Word from the help menu with the disc
available.

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Leroy Leroy is offline

Don't want to be a pest but I'm stymied by this search for a missing file.
Starting with Help, as you suggested, I've searched MS fairly thoroughly and
don't find anything relative among the many answers to indications like,
"Find missing file", "Find missing file on disk", "Find missing CAB file,"
etc.

It may help to know that my Word 2003 is an upgrade. But the closest that
information gets me is to a category that says: "If you installed your
Offrice program individually, click the name of your program in the
Currently installed program box, then click Change button."

Since I don't know what that might imply, I don't dare go near that Change
button.

Can this CAB file be found on the web and downloaded? I cited it
specifically in a few search boxes but drew blanks.

And yes, your right: Safe mode is not a permanent fix; my word files still
open with empty picture frames when I don't use Safe mode. On the Options
section only "White spaces, etc." is checked on Print and Web Layout Options.

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you sure the CAB file number is correct?
I can find PR308246.CAB on the Office install disc, but not PR208246.CAB?
Search the installation disc for this file.
If you chose at install to add the installation files to the hard drive they
will also be in a folder called MSOCache.
Re-run setup directly from the installation CD. After some initialisation
you will be given an option to repair or reinstall Word. Repairing should
work.
To restore Word to its installation defaults. Before restarting Word -
rename the Word data key in the registry and rename normal.dot to
oldnormal.dot. Both should be explained in the link I posted earlier.

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Leroy Leroy is offline

First of all, thank you for your patience. I'm an average home-user to whom
apparently simple tasks seem enormously complex.

I reinstalled Word 2003 and one thing I did notice right away was that a
Word doc opened in Safe mode does NOT now complain in advance about any
missing file. However, the docs remain the same, with empty picture frames.

I know, I shouldn't have opened a doc before changing the registry key, but
I couldn't figure out how to do that. For example, I hunted for the registry
keys to change normal.dot to abnormal.dot, as you requested, and after
finding no help from Help, I opened System DataOfficeWord 2003
Settings...and got "MS Office Word is not available," which baffles me.

I also did a basic search for "normal.dot" which turned up nothing.

Am I getting close? I certainly am getting desperate.

Leroy wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Whoa - step back a bit. You are getting close, but in danger of wrecking the
ship.

The missing file will have been replaced but the registry entry and the
default template are still present.

1. Go to tools options view and uncheck 'picture placeholders' and check
'drawings'

If that doesn't fix the problem:-

2. Close Word and Outlook.

3. If you look at http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm - this
will demonstrate how to delete the data key in the registry (albeit to deal
with a different problem). Delete the key as shown and when you start Word
it will rebuild a new one with the default settings for tools options.

4. Normal.dot is a normally hidden file so you will need to search for
hidden files. Set Windows Explorer tools folder options view to
display hidden files and the extensions of known file types (you can always
change it back again later).

5. Locate the file and rename it to oldnormal.dot

6. Restart Word