fiona nelson

Default Caption number only

Hi All,

I use Word 2003. In a much earlier version of word (I suspect 97) a former
colleague enabled the captions to be reference by a number only. This is so
you could reference several tables or figures. EG "In tables 2.1 to 2.4..."
rather than using "In table 2.1 to table 2.4...".

Is this possible to achieve without writing a macro? And where would I find
it? And if I need a macro does anyone know what sort of code would be
necessary?

So far I have changed what appears in the field by simply typing an "s"
after the first "table" and then deleting the second appearance of the word
"table", however when I print or otherwise update the fields, it reverts back
to the original (of course:-)). I'm pretty sure I had to type in "tables" and
then use the cross-reference function to achieve this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fiona Nelson

After you have created the cross-references, you can edit the bookmarks they
create, as follows:

1. Insert a cross-reference to Table 2.1 and another to Table 2.4.

2. Go to the caption of Table 2.1 and select just the number.

3. Insert | Bookmark and check the box for "Hidden bookmarks" and choose the
radio button for "Location."

4. The bookmark that is highlighted is the one for the caption you have
selected. Click Add to reinsert the bookmark around the caption number only.

5. Repeat this procedure for Table 2.4.

word "tables" in front of them.

"fiona nelson" wrote in message
[...]

fiona nelson

Thanks Suzanne.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

How do i get rid of a page number on a Save As\ Text Only doc? Mike Whitehurst Microsoft Word Help 0 March 16th 05 01:18 PM
Page Number funnybroad Page Layout 4 March 3rd 05 07:58 AM
When insert page number is clicked, the number inserted at page 1. inbetween Page Layout 1 February 19th 05 07:07 AM
Refreshing a Caption number hos Microsoft Word Help 1 February 3rd 05 09:44 AM
Caption number initialize wendy Microsoft Word Help 4 January 18th 05 10:59 PM