Tom Archuleta via OfficeKB.com

Default Install Question

When I bought my Dell computer, I had Office 2003 Basic pre-loaded (no
Powerpoint). I recently bought Office 2003 SBE. Do I have to unintall
Office Basic to install Office SBE? I'm sure I'll have to back up Outlook e-
mail otherwise I'll lose that, correct?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Tom,

When I bought my Dell computer, I had Office 2003 Basic pre-loaded (no
Powerpoint). I recently bought Office 2003 SBE. Do I have to unintall
Office Basic to install Office SBE? I'm sure I'll have to back up Outlook e-
mail otherwise I'll lose that, correct?

The office.setup group would probably have been the better place to ask this.

Your Outlook content will be stored in a *.pst file, which you can certainly
copy/backup. You should ask in an Outlook newsgroup about keeping the profile
information.

I think it would probably be better to uninstall the current Office, before
installing the other version.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Graham Mayor

Microsoft tries its damnedest to retain user settings when upgrading its
software, which can be as irritating as it is useful. I would think it
extremely unlikely that you would need to uninstall the installed OEM
version of Office in order to install the SBE version in the same folder.
The individual components in the Office programs are all the same, the
versions are merely concerned with marketing. When you install the new
version it should recognize the existing version and give you the
opportunity to add the missing bits. You will then need to check on-line for
any updates.

It is worth backing up important data and user settings which in the case of
Outlook is its associated PST file.

Tom Archuleta via OfficeKB.com wrote:
When I bought my Dell computer, I had Office 2003 Basic pre-loaded (no
Powerpoint). I recently bought Office 2003 SBE. Do I have to unintall
Office Basic to install Office SBE? I'm sure I'll have to back up
Outlook e- mail otherwise I'll lose that, correct?

Line Spacing Question Peyton Todd Microsoft Word Help 10 February 3rd 05 05:25 PM
Install Word on different computer Charles Kenyon Microsoft Word Help 0 January 24th 05 04:52 PM
use a 'question mark cursor' to get help me Microsoft Word Help 1 January 17th 05 12:32 AM
Font question? SJH Microsoft Word Help 4 January 6th 05 10:54 AM
my word2002 won't install, gives errorInternal 2738, HElp Me wendy New Users 1 December 12th 04 04:17 AM