Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TEB1824 TEB1824 is offline

Default How do I convert a date/time field in a merge field?

I created a report in Crystal Reports. I exported the report into excel with
all the appropriate fields. I created the mail merge file in Microsoft word.
I basically edited all the text fields to my satisfaction. However I have a
date/time field that refuses to be converted to the desired format, dddd,
MMMM dd, yyyy, which is Tuesday, March 18, 2008. It is seems to be stuck on
the M/d/yyyy h:mm am/pm format which is 3/18/2008 12:00 AM. It doesn't
change no matter how I change the format in either excel or Crystal Reports.
How can this be corrected?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

TEB1824,
Try using the following switch after the date mergefield:

\@ "DDDD MMMM dd, yyyy"

Take note for the day of the week I used four (4) capital "D"'s.

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"TEB1824" wrote in message
I created a report in Crystal Reports. I exported the report into excel
with
all the appropriate fields. I created the mail merge file in Microsoft
word.
I basically edited all the text fields to my satisfaction. However I have
date/time field that refuses to be converted to the desired format, dddd,
MMMM dd, yyyy, which is Tuesday, March 18, 2008. It is seems to be stuck on
the M/d/yyyy h:mm am/pm format which is 3/18/2008 12:00 AM. It doesn't
change no matter how I change the format in either excel or Crystal Reports.
How can this be corrected?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The DDDD does not have to be upper case - only the MMMM.
If you want the *result* upper case you need an additional switch
\@ "dddd MMMM d, yyyy" \*upper
conversely a \*lower switch would make the result all lower case.

Rich/rerat wrote:
TEB1824,
Try using the following switch after the date mergefield:

\@ "DDDD MMMM dd, yyyy"

Take note for the day of the week I used four (4) capital "D"'s.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Graham Mayor,
My apologies, after reading the OP again, the author might have just
formatted the excel worksheet to the format they wanted. But had not used
the switch in the Word document to make the mergefield date as they wanted
it to be displayed as. Since they mention trying "dddd" for the day of the
week, and it did not work.