Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RWHegwood RWHegwood is offline

Default Booklet Printing Problems

I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not print the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and 1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and 19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the back...and so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print 2/19,
it does...sort of. It prints them on seperate pages in the wrong spot on
those pages, the 2 on the side the 19 should be on and the 19 on the side the
2 should be on, and each on a seperate sheet of paper. Then it gets worse.
If I tell it to print page 3 it prints page 19. If I tell it to print page 4
I get page 20. If I say print page 6 I get page 17.

I do have the print instructions set for borderless printing and I lie to it
about the paper type so that it will print borderless...but that should not
effect page printing I don't think.

The computer is new (Daktech) and the printer is new (Epson all in one CX7400)

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. This is baffling.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless your printer duplexes automatically, you will need to check "Manual
duplex" in the Print dialog to make Word hold the back sides of the sheets
for the flip-over run. My experience with printing selected pages of a
booklet is pretty dismal. In theory, if you select a given page, Word is
supposed to print all four pages that would print on that sheet, but, even
when I specify the exact pages in the correct order, I find that Word
frequently does no such thing but instead prints blank pages or the pages in
the wrong place, as you have seen.

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and 1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and 19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print 2/19,
it does...sort of. It prints them on seperate pages in the wrong spot on
those pages, the 2 on the side the 19 should be on and the 19 on the side
the
2 should be on, and each on a seperate sheet of paper. Then it gets worse.
If I tell it to print page 3 it prints page 19. If I tell it to print page
4
I get page 20. If I say print page 6 I get page 17.

I do have the print instructions set for borderless printing and I lie to
it
about the paper type so that it will print borderless...but that should
not
effect page printing I don't think.

The computer is new (Daktech) and the printer is new (Epson all in one
CX7400)

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. This is baffling.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RWHegwood RWHegwood is offline

Thanks for trying.

I checked 'manual duplex' as you suggested. I told it to print page 2. It
showed a dialogue box telling me to flip my page or something like that then
hit OK. I hit OK and it squirted out a blank sheet then printed page 19 on
the following sheet...a half sheet out of place. Then I told it to print
page 16. It gave the same dialogue. I hit OK. It spit out a blank sheet then
crashed Word. I reopened word and tried again with another page...same
thing...spit out a blank then crashed.

This is vexing...I may have to see if I can make it work in Publisher.

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and 1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and 19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print 2/19,
it does...sort of. It prints them on seperate pages in the wrong spot on
those pages, the 2 on the side the 19 should be on and the 19 on the side
the
2 should be on, and each on a seperate sheet of paper. Then it gets worse.
If I tell it to print page 3 it prints page 19. If I tell it to print page
4
I get page 20. If I say print page 6 I get page 17.

I do have the print instructions set for borderless printing and I lie to
it
about the paper type so that it will print borderless...but that should
not
effect page printing I don't think.

The computer is new (Daktech) and the printer is new (Epson all in one
CX7400)

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. This is baffling.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

It will work great in Publisher...

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and 1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and 19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print 2/19,
it does...sort of. It prints them on seperate pages in the wrong spot on
those pages, the 2 on the side the 19 should be on and the 19 on the side
the
2 should be on, and each on a seperate sheet of paper. Then it gets worse.
If I tell it to print page 3 it prints page 19. If I tell it to print page
4
I get page 20. If I say print page 6 I get page 17.

I do have the print instructions set for borderless printing and I lie to
it
about the paper type so that it will print borderless...but that should
not
effect page printing I don't think.

The computer is new (Daktech) and the printer is new (Epson all in one
CX7400)

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. This is baffling.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I wasn't suggesting that "Manual duplex" would help in printing specific
pages; the only luck I've ever had with printing booklets was in printing
the entire thing, single-sided as camera-ready copy for commercial offset
printing. Or I convert them to PDF to send to a printer.

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per
leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not
print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and
1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and
19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the
back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print
2/19,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RWHegwood RWHegwood is offline

Thanks. I tried printing the whole thing on manual duplex and it came out as
it was supposed to. I flipped the pages when the first batch was done and it
was smooth sailing....slow sailing but smooth.

The problem now is that I better find all erratta and fix any page design
flaws I see now because the whole thing will have to be reprinted to correct
any problem...which would be a lot easier of course if you could just reprint
the problem page. But then I suppose you know that. Thanks for the help.

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per
leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not
print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and
1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2 and
19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the
back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print
2/19,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, this is why I don't use "Book fold" for any but the shortest booklets
(some booklets I do are up to 100 pages) or ones that will be printed as
PDFs. In some other cases I use the method described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

"RWHegwood" wrote in message
I am trying to print a 20 page booket on 8.5 X 11 paper, 2 pages per
leaf.
Everything looks fine on screen. However, when I print it will not
print
the
pages in the correct order. The first page prints fine (page 20 and
1).
Though I did not tell it to it continues to print the next set (2
and
19).
Though I did not want it to print 2/19 it is printed correctly on
the
page.
My intent was to turn the 20/1 page over and print 2/19 on the
back...and
so
on throughout the booklet.

From this point the world gets very confusing. If I tell it to print