Tecsi

Default Find AND Display Multiple Instances

I am using Word as a mega-bucket for all my notes. Related notes are
scattered all over this document. I want to be able to find all instances
of a text string, and display all these (and the sentence/paragraph they are
in) in one place--probably a scrollable window so I can quickly find the
relevant "note".

The current Find All is way too tedious to do this as I can only see one
instance at a time.

Ideally, I would like the instances appearing in the separate window to
hyperlink to their source location, so I can quickly see AND get to the
relevant note.

Is there something that does this, or something close?

Thanks
Tecsi

Jay Freedman

Tecsi wrote:
I am using Word as a mega-bucket for all my notes. Related notes are
scattered all over this document. I want to be able to find all
instances of a text string, and display all these (and the
sentence/paragraph they are in) in one place--probably a scrollable
window so I can quickly find the relevant "note".

The current Find All is way too tedious to do this as I can only see
one instance at a time.

Ideally, I would like the instances appearing in the separate window
to hyperlink to their source location, so I can quickly see AND get
to the relevant note.

Is there something that does this, or something close?

Thanks
Tecsi

There is nothing built into Word that you can simply "turn on".

It would be possible to write a macro that creates a separate document to
hold the scrolling list, does the search, copies the paragraph containing
each "hit" into the other document, and attaches a hyperlink to the original
passage. While it's possible, it wouldn't be particularly user-friendly.

Let me suggest instead that you should look at OneNote, a separate
application that's built to do pretty much what you asked for. See
http://office.microsoft.com/onenote.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Tecsi,

The best idea I can come up with, that doesn't involve a lot of programming,
would be to use the Document Map for this.

1. Set up a style with an "outline level" of 1

2. Make sure your document doesn't otherwise use outline levels

3. With Find/Replace, search the term, and in the Replace section, choose the
style. this should apply the style to all the found instances

4. Display the Document Map: all instaces of the style should appear (with any
luck)

5. To get rid of the list (in order to make a new one, for example), Find all
instances of the style and, on the Replace side, remove all settings (or choose
the Normal style)

Note that this really rather a "dirty" approach, since it applies a style in
the document with no regard to the document formatting, otherwise. So it's not
certain it would be appropriate. But if you're only using the document as a
"notes bucket", the formatting may not be that relevant.

I am using Word as a mega-bucket for all my notes. Related notes are
scattered all over this document. I want to be able to find all instances
of a text string, and display all these (and the sentence/paragraph they are
in) in one place--probably a scrollable window so I can quickly find the
relevant "note".

The current Find All is way too tedious to do this as I can only see one
instance at a time.

Ideally, I would like the instances appearing in the separate window to
hyperlink to their source location, so I can quickly see AND get to the
relevant note.

Is there something that does this, or something close?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)