Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Default Converting Docs from WordPerfect: 'Lost' Converter

I have Word 2007, which I downloaded from the Microsoft site -- and
don't have a CD for it. (I know now that was *not* a good idea -- and
I won't do it again.)

I had no problem opening a WordPerfect document in Word 2007 *until*
I bought a new computer and moved all files and programs to my new
computer using PCMover; everything for every program works fine EXCEPT
now when I try to open a WordPerfect file I get a message that my
converter is old. I am told how to remedy that. It involves the
Add/Remove Program on the Control Panel. One uses "Change" instead of
remove. I follow the instructions and get to the point where I can
install the text converters. Here it asks me to insert my CD. As
mentioned above, I don't have a CD. Anyone know how I can handle this.
Is there a CAB file which has the file; if so, what is the location? If
no CAB file, anyone know how I remedy this?

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could always download it again, which would give you the installation
files - I believe the file
is a self extracting zip. I am downloading it at present to confirm - but
with the local line speed it will take at least half an hour. I'll report
back later.

Or you could simply use the old converter. Just acknowledge the security
warning each time and it should work as before. With some document types,
the old filters (most of which you can download from my web site) are the
only way to access documents, so the security warning is something you learn
to live with.

djprius wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Apparently it is not a simple self extracting zip, but an executable
installation file that incudes a self extraction zip. If you download the
file again and run as far as the the first dialog box which requests the
program key. You will find the setup files in the Windows temp folder, which
for Windows XP will be
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\OWP128D.tmp
You can copy them from there to a new location on your hard drive, or to a
CD/DVD..
Cancel the installation (which will remove the temporary files) by clicking
the X in the top right of the program key dialog.
You can now point the installer that requires the disc to the new location
to allow it to complete the additional installation of the missing files.

djprius wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Thank you, Graham.

I'll try that and report back.

Not sure if I can still download without cost: bought it in July 2007,
but I'm going to check that out.

Thanks also for information about the filters on your site.

David

Graham Mayor wrote:
Apparently it is not a simple self extracting zip, but an executable
installation file that incudes a self extraction zip. If you download the
file again and run as far as the the first dialog box which requests the
program key. You will find the setup files in the Windows temp folder, which
for Windows XP will be
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\OWP128D.tmp
You can copy them from there to a new location on your hard drive, or to a
CD/DVD..
Cancel the installation (which will remove the temporary files) by clicking
the X in the top right of the program key dialog.
You can now point the installer that requires the disc to the new location
to allow it to complete the additional installation of the missing files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Download the trial from the link I posted earlier. The trial is converted to
full version with the key you purchased. You don't need to go as far as
inserting the key to extract the files as described.

Graham Mayor wrote:
Apparently it is not a simple self extracting zip, but an executable
installation file that incudes a self extraction zip. If you
download the file again and run as far as the the first dialog box
which requests the program key. You will find the setup files in the
Windows temp folder, which for Windows XP will be
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\OWP128D.tmp
You can copy them from there to a new location on your hard drive,
or to a CD/DVD..
Cancel the installation (which will remove the temporary files) by
clicking the X in the top right of the program key dialog.
You can now point the installer that requires the disc to the new
location to allow it to complete the additional installation of the
missing files.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Graham, I did as you suggested. All went the way you described
*until* I pointed to the large file I downloaded (took 50 minutes on my
DSL line). I got a message that it could not find "HomeStudent....." I
have the Home and Student edition of Word: apparently the software
checks to see if it's the same version and the Enterprise version I
downloaded was not acceptable.

I wonder if I download the trial version of Home and Student whether
the process you describe will work.

David

Graham Mayor wrote:
Download the trial from the link I posted earlier. The trial is converted to
full version with the key you purchased. You don't need to go as far as
inserting the key to extract the files as described.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's a big file It is not the large .exe file that you point to, but the
extracted files that you have copied from the temporary folder to a
permanent location.

I had assumed that all the versions were similar but that it was the key
which determined the level of functionality. It appears that may have been
misguided. If the above does not address it, by all means try downloading
the HomeStudent trial - http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx
You have a legitimate key (if you have lost it you can extract it from
Windows using Belarc Advisor - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). In
a worst case, you can always reinstall from the downloaded file and apply
your key to that. Your personalisations should not be affected.

Graham Mayor wrote:
Download the trial from the link I posted earlier. The trial is
converted to full version with the key you purchased. You don't need
to go as far as inserting the key to extract the files as described.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Graham,

It's a big file It is not the large .exe file that you point to, but the
extracted files that you have copied from the temporary folder to a
permanent location.

I did run the .exe file and it did extract them -- and I did move
the temp files to a new location on the hard drive.

I had assumed that all the versions were similar but that it was the key
which determined the level of functionality. It appears that may have been
misguided. If the above does not address it, by all means try downloading
the HomeStudent trial - http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx
You have a legitimate key (if you have lost it you can extract it from
Windows using Belarc Advisor - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). In
a worst case, you can always reinstall from the downloaded file and apply
your key to that. Your personalisations should not be affected.

I'll do this in a few days. I'm tied up this weekend.

Thanks, Graham, for all the support.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

When I went to download the trial version of Home/Student, I could
not commence the download without entering information as though I were
a new user. I was concerned that the trial version authentication might
"mess up" my paid license -- so I didn't download it.

However, a friend gave me his disk of Home/Student. I thought that
would do it, but when I tried to navigate to the file that the error
message said I needed, it said that it was (I think the phrase was)
invalid location. There were two possible folders that might have been
correct and in both I got the same error message.

However, the good news is that in searching through old papers I
found my invoice for the purchase: I paid for a "license box" and
although I am not sure how, it appears I have the right to download again.

I assume that my preferences and personal settings will not be
overwritten, but am not sure.

David

djprius wrote:
Graham,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word will.not change your personal settings or your documents even if
uninstalled and reinstalled.

djprius wrote:
[...]

djprius wrote:
Graham,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
djprius djprius is offline

Thank you, Graham. I was hoping such was the case!

David