Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ron37 Ron37 is offline

Default Headers and footers by section

When you insert a section break to set up custom headers and footers in a
multi page document do you have to insert custom page number headers and
footers before you actually insert a custom header and footer and edit the
placeholder text because when I went to add a page number header the other
header elements disappeared from the document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ron37 Ron37 is offline

I inserted a three column header and inserted a section break that cover the
first and second pages of the document. Now in order to have the title of the
document, the page number and the date all in the same header what do I have
to do? As far as the pages in the middle I get page 1 twice for the first and
second pages. It is supposed to be Page 1 and then Page 2 for the Headers as
well as Footers. This topic is hard for me to grasp. I need help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

This is Word 2007, right? (It's different in this respect, and many others,
from previous versions.)

When you click the Page Number button on the ribbon, you get a menu that
starts with the four items

Top of Page
Bottom of Page
Page Margins
Current Position

The Top of Page choice will wipe out any previously inserted header
(built-in or custom), and the Bottom of Page choice will wipe out any
previously inserted footer. Similarly, inserting a header or footer from the
galleries will wipe out any existing header or footer, including any page
number that may be there.

Instead, put the cursor at the point in the header or footer where you want
the page number, and use the Current Position choice.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

ron37 wrote:
When you insert a section break to set up custom headers and footers
in a multi page document do you have to insert custom page number
headers and footers before you actually insert a custom header and
footer and edit the placeholder text because when I went to add a
page number header the other header elements disappeared from the
document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ron37 Ron37 is offline

Would you do that for the header title and date as well if you do have a
three column header? Its Word 2007. You would insert at the current position.
I believe that about anything you want can be in a header and footer with
customizations such as fonts, styles, bold, italics, etc.

ron37 wrote:
When you insert a section break to set up custom headers and footers
in a multi page document do you have to insert custom page number
headers and footers before you actually insert a custom header and
footer and edit the placeholder text because when I went to add a
page number header the other header elements disappeared from the
document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're correct that anything can be put into a header or footer. However, if
you're using the building blocks that appear in the galleries on the Header and
Footer buttons, inserting one of them *will* replace anything that's already
there.

Most of the things in those building blocks -- such as the content controls that
display things like the document title, or fields that show page numbers or
headings -- can be inserted in other ways, mostly through the Quick Parts button
on the Insert tab, or through the content controls in the Developer tab. In that
case, they're simply inserted at the cursor rather than first deleting the
current contents of the header/footer.

Always remember that the canned items in the gallery are there for convenience,
but that convenience comes at the price of reduced flexibility. As soon as you
want to do something slightly different, you must switch over to the "manual"
methods.