Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline

Default Page Numbers Across Different Documents in Word 2007

I am trying to link page numbers across separate documents. In other words,
I have multiple documents where I want the page numbers to be sequential
across them - so, e.g., I have a "part I" document ending at page 5 and I
want the "part II" separate document to start with page 6.

I have used the quickparts feature to set up a table of contents that
references different, separate documents but am having trouble with this.
Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There is no built-in mechanism to do this automatically.

You can do it manually: In each document, open the Header pane; on the
Header & Footer Tools ribbon, click the Page Number button and choose Format
Page Numbers; and enter the correct starting number in the Start At box.
Obviously, it would be best to wait to do this until all editing is finished
so you don't have to do it more than once.

It would be possible to write a macro to automate the manual procedure, but
you would have to run the macro when you want to update the numbers rather
than having them adjust automatically.

A possible alternative is to keep everything in one document, separating the
chapters with section breaks. This would simplify many other things, such as
the table of contents and index, at the same time.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman