Fluffy from Wisconsin

Default How can I mail merge a .csv file, matching fields, into a Word doc

I use Windows XP and Office 2003. I am trying to mail merge a .csv (comma
delimited data source) file into a Word document. I have to match fields. I
have tried this several times but apparently am doing something wrong. Would
you please walk me through the steps to accomplish this mail merge? Thank
you in advance for you help.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Rmx1ZmZ5IGZyb20gV2lzY29uc2lu?=,

I use Windows XP and Office 2003. I am trying to mail merge a .csv (comma
delimited data source) file into a Word document. I have to match fields. I
have tried this several times but apparently am doing something wrong. Would
you please walk me through the steps to accomplish this mail merge?

Can you explain why you want to match fields (just want to be sure we're on the
same wavelength)?

Are you using the mail merge toolbar, or the Steps in a taskpane to set up the
mail merge? (So that I know how to talk you through)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Fluffy from Wisconsin

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Rmx1ZmZ5IGZyb20gV2lzY29uc2lu?=,

I use Windows XP and Office 2003. I am trying to mail merge a .csv (comma
delimited data source) file into a Word document. I have to match fields. I
have tried this several times but apparently am doing something wrong. Would
you please walk me through the steps to accomplish this mail merge?

Can you explain why you want to match fields (just want to be sure we're on the
same wavelength)?

Are you using the mail merge toolbar, or the Steps in a taskpane to set up the
mail merge? (So that I know how to talk you through)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

I need to send multiple letters to people and the list of names and address is in a .csv file. I am trying to use mail merge to insert this information in the Address Block and I have been prompted to match fields from the comma delimited file to their related field names in Word. I have tried both the the mail merge toolbar and the steps in a taskpane to set up the mail merge but so far have been unsuccessful.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Rmx1ZmZ5IGZyb20gV2lzY29uc2lu?=,

I need to send multiple letters to people and the list of names and address
is in a .csv file. I am trying to use mail merge to insert this information in
the Address Block and I have been prompted to match fields from the comma
delimited file to their related field names in Word. I have tried both the the
mail merge toolbar and the steps in a taskpane to set up the mail merge but so
far have been unsuccessful.

OK... Let's work with the toolbar, then. The actual process for mapping the
fields doesn't differ, it's only a question of where we start. For the sake of
the example, I'm going to postulate a csv file with the following field names:

Surname, Firstname, Street, City, State, Zip

1. In the toolbar, click the "Match fields" button (roughly tenth from the
left)

2. The entries on the left are what the AddressBlock recognizes; the list on
the left is what Word thinks it recognizes from the csv file. Where it can't
guess, you should see "(not matched)"

3. Go down the list and
- double-check what Word recognizes is what you want for the Address field
- select the appropriate field from the dropdown list for each entry where
you see "(not matched)" IF you want to use that field

For example, for Last Name you'd need to choose Surname from the dropdown list
at the right. Word will probably recognize FirstName OK. It may or may not pick
up Street for Address 1. City and State should be no problem. Zip might be.

4. Once you're finished, click OK

5. Click the Insert AddressBlock button (fourth from the left). Select the
preferred address formatting by activating/deactivating the checkboxes. Watch
the "preview" window if you're not sure what a checkbox does.

6. Click OK.