Brian

Default Inserted pictures disappear in Word 2002 using XP

I'm using Word 2002 on XP. When I insert pictures they briefly show up, then
disappear. They're still there, I just can't see them. Every now and then
they come back for a second or so, then go away. Usually this is triggered by
a move of the mouse. The picture box is still there and if I print the page
it's there.

Any suggestions?
Graham Mayor

This appears to be attributable to the graphics driver with recent ATI
display adapters and the Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
causing particular problems.

In the case of the latter, the latest driver
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ProductID=1764
appears to fix the problem. DON'T TRY TO USE THIS DRIVER WITH ANY OTHER
CHIPSET/ADAPTER.

If you have the problem with a different display adapter and are sure you
are using the latest driver, then try reducing the display's hardware
acceleration.

Brian wrote:
I'm using Word 2002 on XP. When I insert pictures they briefly show
up, then disappear. They're still there, I just can't see them. Every
now and then they come back for a second or so, then go away. Usually
this is triggered by a move of the mouse. The picture box is still
there and if I print the page it's there.

Any suggestions?

Jay Freedman

Brian wrote:
I'm using Word 2002 on XP. When I insert pictures they briefly show
up, then disappear. They're still there, I just can't see them. Every
now and then they come back for a second or so, then go away. Usually
this is triggered by a move of the mouse. The picture box is still
there and if I print the page it's there.

Any suggestions?

First make sure that the Tools Options View dialog has "Drawing objects"
checked and "Picture placeholders" *not* checked.

Assuming you're ok there but the pictures still don't appear, you can try
turning down the hardware acceleration on your video card. Go to Start
Settings Control Panel Display. Click the Settings tab and click the
Advanced button there. In the next dialog, click the Troubleshooting tab.
Move the hardware acceleration slider a notch or two to the left. Click the
Apply button. Try Word to see if it's improved. Repeat until the problem
stops or you reach the None end of the slider.

If this helps, then you should check the website of the video card's
manufacturer for a driver update or replace the card with a faster one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Brian

Well, I updated my chipset and I still have the problem. If I reduce my
hardware acceleration to the middle setting it works fine. What exactly is
the hardware acceleration for? I really can't seem to tell a difference in
anything. The chipset I'm using is: Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express
Chipset.

Brian

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Brian wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Brian,

I don't really know a lot more about hardware acceleration than what it says
in the dialog when you move the slider. In general terms, though, it works
like this: There are instructions in read-only memory on the video card
(hardware) for how to draw things, and there may be other instructions in
the computer's main memory from the driver (software) for how to draw the
same things. Usually the hardware instructions run a lot faster than the
software ones, but the hardware instructions may be incorrect or outdated.
The software instructions can be replaced/updated by a download, while the
hardware ones usually can't be changed.

As you move the hardware acceleration slider toward the left, you're
disabling certain parts of the hardware instructions and replacing them with
the software equivalents. The changing text below the slider tells you what
parts are affected.

If the main CPU is fast enough to keep up with the demands of the video card
along with everything else, you probably wouldn't notice the speed
difference except in extreme circumstances (for example, in graphics-heavy
game programs).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman