Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave M

Default User Defined Style Problem - Where to post?

I am currently having a problem that involves a user defined style that I
created for a document a few months back. It was a style that I did to
create levels of indenture for a document I was doing that I wanted to
appear in an outline format.

I am now working on another document that I do NOT want to use the same
styles. However, every time I select a block of text and click on the
"bullets" icon on the Format toolbar, Word changes the style of the selected
paragraph to one of the styles I defined way back when.

I have tried deleting the style from the document, but it comes back if I
try to set the bullets again. The style in question does not appear in my
Normal.dot file.

Ignoring the "What the $&%?" question for now, how does one make the
"bullet" function just add bullet formatting rather than change the
paragraph style? Should I cross/re- post this message to another Microsoft
group?

TIA,
Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave M

More fun -- if I try to clear the bullet using the "bullet" icon on the
format toolbar, it doesn't revert to normal, but I get the old style plus
the bullet and indent removed?!?!?!

"Dave M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Go to Format | Bullets and Numbering, select the pane that is showing your
style, and click Reset. Then select the bullet format you want. It will be
the active one for the Bullets button until you select a different one.

"Dave M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

And for a long-term solution, rather than using the Bullets button,
you could apply the List Bullet style, and modify it as needed. For
more, see http://shaunakelly.com/word/bullets/controlbullets.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Go to Format | Bullets and Numbering, select the pane that is

showing your
style, and click Reset. Then select the bullet format you want. It

will be
the active one for the Bullets button until you select a different

one.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.