Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
krohlfing

Default Word 2003 table shading removes shading on its own

When using word 2003 tables, i will shade specific cells and contiue working
and formatting. I have noticed and seen first hand that word will
inadvertantly and randomly remove shading from specific cells. This happens
more often after I have just saved the file. This is driving me insane, as I
have quite large tables and have spent a long time trying to get my shading
right only to find it removed later. I thought this issue might be my
computer, but i have witnessed it on a co-workers computer as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?a3JvaGxmaW5n?=,

When using word 2003 tables, i will shade specific cells and contiue working
and formatting. I have noticed and seen first hand that word will
inadvertantly and randomly remove shading from specific cells. This happens
more often after I have just saved the file. This is driving me insane, as I
have quite large tables and have spent a long time trying to get my shading
right only to find it removed later. I thought this issue might be my
computer, but i have witnessed it on a co-workers computer as well.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this happen "randomly" in the fifteen
or so years I've been working with Word...

Is this happening with all documents, or only ones of a certain type? (Created
from specific templates, perhaps.) My first guess would be that there's a macro
associated with the documents; my second one would be that this is a result of
style assignments updating (overriding your formatting).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
krohlfing

It is a template and perhaps random is the wrong word as it unformats the
same cells every time. THe style assignments you mentioned sounds like a
possibility. How do I change or override those?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?a3JvaGxmaW5n?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Anne Troy

Just something to check. Make sure under Tools--Options, Save tab, you
aren't disabling features after Word 97 because I've seen tables act weird
under these circumstances because certain colors are not available, tho I've
never heard of it "removing" shading.

To check your styles, open the doc and go to Tools--Templates and addins.
Is it attached to a template besides normal.dot (assuming there's nothing
wrong with your normal.dot), and is "automatically update styles" checked?
If so, it's likely your template styles and they should be changed in your
template before attempting to further format them in a document based upon
it.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"krohlfing" wrote in message
It is a template and perhaps random is the wrong word as it unformats the
same cells every time. THe style assignments you mentioned sounds like a
possibility. How do I change or override those?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?a3JvaGxmaW5n?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)