Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Philologist

Default Styleref in headers of pages displaying endnotes

I am writing an academic book with endnotes. I want the headers of the pages
where the endnotes appear to have headers like the following:

[177] Notes for pages 55-57
Note for page 88 [183]

To achieve this result, I have written and tested a macro that does the
following:
1. Puts a bookmark just before every endnote.reference in the main text.
2. Inserts a text integer equal to the page number cross-reference to each
bookmark at the start of each endnote.range (e.g. "(p. 4) "). The integers
are all marked with a character style "special."
3. Copies each the endnote.index and endnote.range in order as regular text
to a
new file.
4. Closes the original file without saving changes.

I can then change the starting page number of the new file and use If and
Styleref fields in the headers (first, even, and odd) to pick up the first
and last stylized integers on each page and construct the proper header text.

I am unhappy with this solution for three reasons:

1. If the original file is changed in any way that alters pagination or
endnote count, the macro must be run again.
2. The body of the endnote must contain the cross-reference information
since hiding it also hides the Styleref field result.
3. The pagination of the new file must be adjusted manually because (a) the
explicit cross-references occasionally throw off the line breaks, and (b)
Word apparently inserts an undocumented one or two points before and/or after
each paragraph in endnote text when the interface displays it.

I am afraid my little kludge (or some variation on it) is the only way
around this problem. Does anyone know a better way? If so, what is it?

--
J. M. Unger
East Asian Langs & Lits
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

The short answer here is that what you're tying to do is more complicated
than the result can justify. As you've found it's a sh*t-load of work and
renders the document more-or-less unmaintainable; and it doesn't really help
the reader very much anyway. On the contrary, indeed: people have to look up
your endnotes by number anyway; using the page number as a second reference
gives the reader *more* work to do.

.... unless you have dozens of notes for every page of the body, in which
case your editor should rap your knuckles.

"Philologist" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Philologist

Personally, I prefer footnotes to endnotes; however, in this case, there are
two reasons that endnotes cannot be avoided:

1. The notes are fairly numerous and quite long (not just citations). This
is an academic monograph, and the discussion must be carried out on two
levels.
2. It is usual to set footnotes a one or two points smaller than main text,
whereas endnotes can be set in the same size.

Let me also point out that, if I were to retreat to headers like

[177] Notes 7-8

and so on, the same problem would arise. The problem is that a Styleref
field in a header for the pages where endnotes are displayed does not scan
anything in the body of endnotes. Furthermore, real endnotes cannot be
divided into sections, so you can't even change headers "by hand" the hard
way.

(By the way, the original document is easily maintained because the macro
does nothing permanent to it. That isn't the problem.)

Since running headers of the kind I want are something real publishers do
all the time, I am rather amazed that Word seems incapable of producing them
in any simple way. But I would be happy to stand corrected by someone on
that score!

--
J. M. Unger
East Asian Langs & Lits