Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default Headers (the same but different for each section)

Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the header is the
same for each section and has a reference field in it. The second part of the
header is different for each section, as it reference the section name. Is
there a way that the header can be automated so my users don't have to update
each section using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works for my
footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If the section name (I presume on the first page of each section) is
formatted with a unique style, then you can use a StyleRef field in the
header to repeat that text on each page. In that case, you can use Same as
Previous throughout the document.

See the "Beyond Numbering" section of
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontmatter.htm for details.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the header
is the same for each section and has a reference field in it. The
second part of the header is different for each section, as it
reference the section name. Is there a way that the header can be
automated so my users don't have to update each section using the F9
key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works
for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Hi, Thanks for the information. I was able to get most of it to work. Now,
what if my header has two different StyleRefs. For example, I have chapters
and appendices. I have the chapters working with the StyleRef of "Heading 1",
but my appendices have a StyelRef of "Heading 7". Thanks,

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the header
is the same for each section and has a reference field in it. The
second part of the header is different for each section, as it
reference the section name. Is there a way that the header can be
automated so my users don't have to update each section using the F9
key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works
for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you don't already have a section break between the last chapter and the
first appendix, put one in. Then go into the header of the appendix and turn
off the Same As Previous button on the Header toolbar. Now you can put the
StyleRef for Heading 7 in the appendix header and remove the StyleRef for
Heading 1.

The article at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm explains
the procedure -- just read "main document" and "appendix" in place of
"frontmatter" and "main document", respectively; and "StyleRef field" in
place of "page number".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For more on the StyleRef field, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field in
it. The second part of the header is different for each section,
as it reference the section name. Is there a way that the header
can be automated so my users don't have to update each section
using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works
for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Hi Jay, That is what I have now based on the previous responses.

By doing it this way my users will still have to go into the header of each
section and update (via F9). Is there any other way not to have to do this?

Maybe a way to update the headers and footers when they update the rest of
the document. Currently when I want them to update the TOC, Cross references,
and the like I have them press ctrl-a and then F9.

Thanks,

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field in
it. The second part of the header is different for each section,
as it reference the section name. Is there a way that the header
can be automated so my users don't have to update each section
using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works
for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See Graham's response in the thread
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...2375f87cb6358d.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field in
it. The second part of the header is different for each section,
as it reference the section name. Is there a way that the header
can be automated so my users don't have to update each section
using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It
works for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Hi Jay,

I have not used code before for my documents. Where/How would I insert the
code from the link below? Also, does this change the size of the document?

Thanks, Karen

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field in
it. The second part of the header is different for each section,
as it reference the section name. Is there a way that the header
can be automated so my users don't have to update each section
using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It
works for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Instructions for using macros are at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm. The code should go into the
template for your documents (or into a global add-in), not in the documents
themselves.

It isn't clear from the earlier parts of the thread whether you actually
have a template (a .dot file), or whether you're just passing around copies
of a document. I strongly suggest you use a template
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latePart1.htm). In
that case, the macro won't have any effect at all on the size of the
document. The problem with putting a macro in a document is not that it
changes the size, but that macros in documents are a security risk, so Word
makes it as difficult as possible to use them. It either disables them
completely or displays a scary warning box every time the document is
opened, depending on the setting of an obscure option in the Tools Macro
Security dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field
in it. The second part of the header is different for each
section, as it reference the section name. Is there a way that
the header can be automated so my users don't have to update
each section using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It
works for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

All content in headers and footers is automatically updated when you print
or Print Preview, and StyleRef fields update automatically anyway.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field in
it. The second part of the header is different for each section,
as it reference the section name. Is there a way that the header
can be automated so my users don't have to update each section
using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It works
for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Hi Jay,

I am using a template (.dot), that everyone uses to create their document
from. We have been fairly successful using the template, only a few bumps. I
will take a look at the link below for installing the macro. Hopefully I will
be all set with this.

Thanks for all your help!

Karen =)

Karen wrote:
Hi,

I have about 12 sections in my document. The first part of the
header is the same for each section and has a reference field
in it. The second part of the header is different for each
section, as it reference the section name. Is there a way that
the header can be automated so my users don't have to update
each section using the F9 key.

The "same as previous" option will not work in this case. It
works for my footers as the only difference is my page number.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Hi, I am using Graham's macro as suggested by Jay, however, it doesn't appear
to update the Table of Contents, Tables, and Figures that I have. It works
great for the headers, footers, bookmarks, fields, etc. Does anyone know a
way to modify this macro in order for it to update everything in the
document? Thanks, Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following should hit everything

Sub Update()
Dim oField As Field
Dim oSection As Section
Dim oHeader As HeaderFooter
Dim oFooter As HeaderFooter
Dim oTOC As TableOfContents
Dim oFig As TableOfFigures
Dim oAut As TableOfAuthorities

For Each oTOC In ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents
oTOC.Update
Next oTOC

For Each oFig In ActiveDocument.TablesOfFigures
oFig.Update
Next oFig

For Each oAut In ActiveDocument.TablesOfAuthorities
oAut.Update
Next oAut

For Each oSection In ActiveDocument.Sections
For Each oHeader In oSection.Headers
If oHeader.Exists Then
For Each oField In oHeader.Range.Fields
oField.Update