Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

Default preventing crashes by using more sections??

Hi,

I have been getting reports from co-workers that their large documents are
crashing frequently; however I'm not based in the same office, so I'm unable
to see it in action. I have been pouring over this site and the usual others
(mvp, shauna kelly, addbalance, word tips, etc) reading up on suggestions of
what not to do in Word (don't use nested tables, versions, master documents,
fast saves, etc.) and the only thing that I can think that users are doing
are not applying the styles properly and are causing the documents to bloat
with manual formatting. These documents are no more than 3-4 mb and 100 -
200 pages at the absolute max; however they are using a fair amount of
graphics (.png) and a lot of tables.

I was wondering if using more sections in a doc may be a strategy to help
prevent crashing? I will also take any other suggestions!

Thanks,
Nancy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't think that more sections is likely to help. I would link the
graphics, rather than embed them in the document and to improve performance
during editing, check the "Picture Placeholders" box under
ToolsOptionsView.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nancy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

Thank you for your suggestion; however if we link the graphics what problems
may we encounter when we email the document to a client?

"Nancy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
challa prabhu challa prabhu is offline

You cannot ignore sections alltogether. But if you limit your document only
to different header and footer and page orientation, you can avoid all these
frustration. The system might crash only when you print a document with
different page orientation, because the page has to be adjusted to the pages
in the tray. Therefore it requires more memory.

Otherwise, it is fun using Sections in general

Challa Prabhu