Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
blu_lagoon blu_lagoon is offline

Default alternate page numbers

How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Richard O. Neville Richard O. Neville is offline

In the Insert Page Numbers dialog box, there is a drop-down list called
"Alignment." Select "Outside" to get what you want.

"blu_lagoon" wrote in message
How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
blu_lagoon blu_lagoon is offline

Thanks, but that's not it. I want to "alternate" the page numbers between
left and right side of the document. Anyone else know? I did this once but
can't find it again.

"blu_lagoon" wrote in message
How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

What Richard explained should do exactly what you want if your header or
footer contains only a page number inserted via Insert Page Numbers or via
the Header and Footer toolbar (the page number on even pages will be aligned
left, the page number on odd pages will be aligned right). The €śOutside€ť
option only affects the page number, i.e. other types of content in the
header (or footer) will be placed identically on even and odd pages.

Another possibility that lets you set up different headers/footers on even
and odd pages:
Select File Page Setup Layout tab. Below €śHeaders and Footers€ť, select
€śDifferent odd and even€ť.

Now go to the header or footer (depending on where your page number is
found). Note that you will now see the text €śEven page header/footer€ť and
€śOdd page header/footer€ť above the headers/footers. Change the even and odd
headers (or footers) to the layout you want.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"blu_lagoon" wrote in message
How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
blu_lagoon blu_lagoon is offline

I do not only have a page number in the header, I also have a title.
Everything you spoke about I understand how to do, unfortunately I cannot for
some reason have
the page number on even pages be aligned left, the page number on odd pages
be aligned right. That is my goal. I had it before but I changed something
and can't get it back. I do not find an option for aligning even pages on the
left and odd pages on the right.

"blu_lagoon" wrote in message
How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm. When you select
"Different odd and even" on the Layout tab of Page Setup, you get a separate
Odd Page Footer and Even Page Footer which you can format differently. You
type what text you want in each header and insert the page number where you
want it using the Insert Page Number button. You can use either paragraph
alignment (left-aligned or right-aligned) or the built-in tabs to align the
text and page number.

When you select "Outside" in the Insert | Page Numbers dialog, you *will*
get the page number on the left on left-hand pages and on the right on
right-hand pages (this is accomplished by putting the page number in a frame
with "Outside" alignment), but there is no provision for different alignment
of other text in the header.