Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] ch@blue.co.uk is offline

Default Page numbering problem, Word 2003

Hello,
I am using MS Office 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I want to number pages in a document as follows:

The document has two sections,
the first three pages, ie section 1, must NOT be numbered.
The remaining pages ie section 2, must be numbered from
1 to 42. ie page numbering start at page 1 in section 2 only.
Numbers to appear at bottom right in the footer.

I have been unable to set this up, I either get numbering from 1
all through the document or 1 to 3 in section 1, and then 1 to 42
in section 2.

How can I stop numbers appearing in section 1?
(Word can number them if it wants, I just don't want them printing)

Is there a method for this? or must I use two separate documents.

Many thanks

C. Drown
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Robert has already answered this? However just to confirm - do you actually
have a section break between your 'sections'. If so then open the header
footer view whilst in your second section and the indication will be that
you are in the header of section 2. By default the headers of the sections
are automatically linked, but the button on the header toolbar should
already be selected to break that link. Break it! You can then have
different header/footers for each section - including numbering schemes.

wrote:
Hello,
I am using MS Office 2003 on Windows XP Pro.

I want to number pages in a document as follows:

The document has two sections,
the first three pages, ie section 1, must NOT be numbered.
The remaining pages ie section 2, must be numbered from
1 to 42. ie page numbering start at page 1 in section 2 only.
Numbers to appear at bottom right in the footer.

I have been unable to set this up, I either get numbering from 1
all through the document or 1 to 3 in section 1, and then 1 to 42
in section 2.

How can I stop numbers appearing in section 1?
(Word can number them if it wants, I just don't want them printing)

Is there a method for this? or must I use two separate documents.

Many thanks

C. Drown

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Drown Charles Drown is offline

Thanks Robert and Graham,

I eventually managed it after I realised that headers and footers
need to be both/independently unlinked from previous sections.
And that unlinking the header did not unlink the footer, even though
the document was telling me that it was still linked. Need to get my
eyes seen to!

Charles Drown