#1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
external usenet poster

Default How do I copy the word count on a document?

I need to print the total word count on my essay, but I cannot use the copy
button to do so. How can I do it? Thank you.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
external usenet poster

Default How do I copy the word count on a document?

Hi chica61,

You can insert a 'NUMWORDS' field via Insert|Field wherever you want the word count to go. Note that this will add 1 to your total
word count (the field counts itself) if it's a word on its own and, if you change the text, the count won't update automatically.
You can force it to update by selecting it and pressing F9. Doing a Print Preview or printing the document should also cause it to
update.

You can also create the same field by pressing Ctrl-F9, typing 'NUMWORDS' between the field braces and pressing F9 to update the
field.

If you're desperate to get the actual word count and the field is a word on its own, press Ctrl-F9 twice (to create two fields),
then edit the contents so that you get '{={NUMWORDS}-1}', then press F9 to update the field.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

"chica61" wrote in message ...
I need to print the total word count on my essay, but I cannot use the copy
button to do so. How can I do it? Thank you.