Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nonesuch Nonesuch is offline

Default Document Map Width Not Retained

This is a title of an article in the knowledgebase. It says that it is only a
problem in word 97 and there is no fix. I had the same problem with word 2000
whilst in college a number of years back. I managed to do a bit of
hackery-pokery which enabled me to set the width of the document map
permanently so that when I opened or newed a doc it went to the size I'd set.

I've not used word for years. I now have started using word 2002 and it has
the same problem, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Was going to look for
a second-hand copy of word 2003 in ebay, but a friend says that it also has
this problem. Word 2007 doesn't have this problem, but I can't afford it.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It should be easy enough to fix with a macro saved in normal.dot. The
following will intercept the in-built command and set the width at 16%

Sub ViewDocumentMap()
With ActiveWindow
If .DocumentMap = False Then
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
Else
.DocumentMap = False
End If
End With
End Sub

Set the PercentWidth to reflect the width you require

Nonesuch wrote:
This is a title of an article in the knowledgebase. It says that it
is only a problem in word 97 and there is no fix. I had the same
problem with word 2000 whilst in college a number of years back. I
managed to do a bit of hackery-pokery which enabled me to set the
width of the document map permanently so that when I opened or newed
a doc it went to the size I'd set.

I've not used word for years. I now have started using word 2002 and
it has the same problem, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Was
going to look for a second-hand copy of word 2003 in ebay, but a
friend says that it also has this problem. Word 2007 doesn't have
this problem, but I can't afford it.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nonesuch Nonesuch is offline

Thanks for such a quick reply. The macro works okay, but only if the doc map
is already off and you click it on or run the macro.

I leave the doc map on all the time and as such the macro only runs if I
turn doc map off and then back on again, which kinda defeats the purpose. I
need it to be there every time I run word (which it already is), but not at
the default size which I think is 25% (16% would be great!).

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It should be easy enough to fix with a macro saved in normal.dot. The
following will intercept the in-built command and set the width at 16%

Sub ViewDocumentMap()
With ActiveWindow
If .DocumentMap = False Then
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
Else
.DocumentMap = False
End If
End With
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nonesuch Nonesuch is offline

Hi again Graham. I don't know anything about macros, but you've given me food
for thought. I think the following simplified code would do what I want. The
doc map would be on permanently, but resized to what I want, but it is no
good unless I make it autorun which I've no idea what to do, cause I don't
know anything about macros.

Sub ViewDocumentMap()
With ActiveWindow

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It should be easy enough to fix with a macro saved in normal.dot. The
following will intercept the in-built command and set the width at 16%

Sub ViewDocumentMap()
With ActiveWindow
If .DocumentMap = False Then
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
Else
.DocumentMap = False
End If
End With
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In that case you need to add a line or two to both the autonew and autoopen
macros in normal.dot

With ActiveWindow
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
End with

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It should be easy enough to fix with a macro saved in normal.dot. The
following will intercept the in-built command and set the width at
16%

Sub ViewDocumentMap()
With ActiveWindow
If .DocumentMap = False Then
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
Else
.DocumentMap = False
End If
End With
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nonesuch Nonesuch is offline

Looking good!!! AutoOpen works perfectly, but AutoNew only works if Word is
already running and you choose New from the menu. I.e when you run word a
blank document appears, but its doc map is the 25% default.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

In that case you need to add a line or two to both the autonew and autoopen
macros in normal.dot

With ActiveWindow
.DocumentMap = True
.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 16
End with

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nonesuch Nonesuch is offline

I've been experimenting and in case anyone has been following this thread,
here is the end result...

' When opening a document this sets the size of the document map
' and sets the document width to text width.
Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True
ActiveWindow.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 15
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
End Sub
' Same as AutoOpen
Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True
ActiveWindow.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 15
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
End Sub
' If the document map is visible it hide it.
' If the document map is hidden it shows it.
' Asign this macro to either a menu or toolbar.
Sub Map()
If ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True Then
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = False
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
Else
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True
ActiveWindow.DocumentMapPercentWidth = 15
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
End If
End Sub
' When the document is closed or you quit word, the document
' map is switched off so that the next time you run word it
' is not visible in the default blank document.
Sub AutoClose()