Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Track Changes interacting badly with Save

Well, I've finally finished editing the article that's caused all this
trouble. It ended up 265 pages (1.5 spaced), with 11 tables tucked
into the last pages, nearly 400 footnotes, and well over 1000 cross
references (and numerous passages in Greek).

I use Track Changes so the author can see what I've done (usually they
go ahead and accept everything), but in my cross references, only on
the very rare occasions when the author has indicated a wrong section
number for an item that's in a different part of the article.

However, now when I open the file to put in the fnishing touches, many
of the cross references appear as Tracked Changes, with identical
crossed-out and underlined entries! (Where the crossed-out item is the
cross-reference that replaced the typed reference provided by the
author, and the underlined item is a duplicate of that same cross
reference.)

Is there some sort of limit on the complexity possible in a single
document? Does Word2003 get confused as it approaches such a limit? (I
have 1 Mb+ of RAM, XP Pro, and effectively unlimited disk space on a
250 Gb hard drive.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Check to see whether your document looks correct in Final mode rather
than in Final Showing Markup. Word in all versions has difficulty
showing the proper numbering displayed when viewing in Final Showing
Markup. This problem also can be seen in numbered lists as well as
footnotes.

If you are working on final touches, I would suggest Accepting all the
Changes and going forward. If necessary you can compare two documents to
ensure the results are what you would like to see.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"grammatim" wrote in message
:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/13/2008 8:23 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Regarding the second point -- no no, it has to go to the author (as a
pdf) with the changes showing!

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

1/13/2008 8:23 PM- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After I spent a good two hours manually Accepting every Change that
showed as an exact duplicate, every single one of them has now turned
up as a Tracked Change once again.

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Certainly. (At this point the editing is finished and all that's left
is formatting the bibliography entries, so nothing's being done that
the author needs to be aware of.)

(I'm not Accepting All Changes, because I need the redlining available
in case the author wants to undo any of my editing.)

Now I'm wondering whether "printing" the pdf would cause it to happen
yet again, since printing causes an updating of cross references --
even though Track Changes is most definitely turned off.

Can I tell it not to update cross references, without at the same time
severing the hyperlinks as I'll have to do at the very last moment
before sending the file off to the typesetter?

(In the olden days, word processors came with heavy-paper templates
that fitted over the keyboard to tell you what all the combinations of
function keys do. I miss having one for Word2003.)

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Print tab of Tools | Options, you can clear the check box for "Update
fields." I do notice, however, that every time I create a PDF, Acrobat
clears that for me, and I have to remember to go back and recheck it.

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Insanity Track Changes interacting badly with Save

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a
different outcome.

I finished editing the references and prepared to re-Accept every
wrongly tracked cross reference -- and discovered that they had all
corrected themselves. There were no longer any erroneous Tracked
Changes, yet all the Changes that were supposed to show, showed. At no
time did I even toggle between showing markup and not showing markup.
OTOH, every one of the choices under "Show" on the Reviewing toolbar
was grayed out, so if I wanted to hide Insertions and show only
Comments, I couldn't.

Perhaps if I look at it again in the morning, it will all have changed
again.

Word2003 is thus insane.

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh second thought, I'll leave well enough alone -- I don't need to
look at it again until the author sends me her comments. And given the
length of the piece (the file is about 1.5 Mb, with no graphics of any
sort), that could be quite a while!

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

[...]

250 Gb hard drive.)--- Hide quoted text -