Brian

Default How do I exclude a word from always capitalized words?

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for capitalization. The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'. Meta should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't want to
ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words that must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?

Brian

Thanks for the quick response Mary. Unfortunately I already added meta to
that list and it made no difference. You can demonstrate this for yourself by
adding meta to the list as you described, then creating a new document and
typing 'This is my test of the word meta. Will it underline?' Meta will be
underlined in green and will come up as a capitalization grammar exception.

"Brian" wrote:

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for capitalization. The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'. Meta should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't want to
ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words that must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?

Brian

Suzanne,

Adding 'meta' to the custom dictionary was the first thing I tried. It makes
no difference. 'meta' is in both my custom dictionary and my list of
autocorrect words to ignore. My suspicion is that this capitalization feature
of Word does not use either list. The curious thing is that despite extensive
searching, I have not been able to find mention of this 'some words must
always be capitalized' feature in the Microsoft Help or on their web site.

I also tried calling a professional PC help service: they can easily
replicate the problem, but they have no way of removing the specific word.
Their only suggestion was to turn the grammar check feature off.

-Brian

-Brian

"Brian" wrote:

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for capitalization.

The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'. Meta

should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't want

ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words that

must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?

The AutoCorrect setting won't help because it specifies words not to add
capitalization *after.* For example, unless you enter "Mr." as an exception
to sentence capitalization, you'll get "and" capitalized when you type "Mr.
and Mrs." There is no setting that governs capitalization of specific words.

I don't use the Word grammar checker (I'm confident of my grammar and find
it more of a nuisance than a help), but I've never heard of the message you
cite, either, and I don't find anything about it in the KB. Do you have any
add-ins that might be responsible?

I suppose you could disable the "capitalization" setting in the Spelling &
Grammar Options. Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try adding "meta" (uncapitalized) to your custom dictionary.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote:

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to

me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for

capitalization.
The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'.

Meta
should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't

want
ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words

that
must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?

Brian

Thanks for your help Suzanne. Do you know of a way to report this
undocumented feature (bug) to Microsoft?

As I stated in an earlier post to this thread, the error is readily
reproducible. Just use meta in any sentence, such as this one. I do not have
any add-ins to Microsoft Word, and the professional PC help company I called
reproduced the problem on their computers

-Brian

"Brian" wrote:

I am using the word 'meta' in my document. For reasons unknown to

me,
everytime I do a grammar check, Word flags 'meta' for

capitalization.
The
help for this begins with 'Some words are always capitalized'.

Meta
should
not be one of those words.

I don't want to turn the grammar check feature off, and I don't

want
ignore this rule, I only want to exclude 'meta' from the words

that
must
always be capitalized. Cna anyone help?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Brian,

What version of Word and what language is set for the
text where you're using meta? Do you have a sample
of the context in which you're using the term?

I wasn't able to duplicate the problem in Word by
copying and pasting the text from your original posted message.

If you open your custom dictionary file from Tools=Options=
Spelling and Grammar and check your autocorrect lists as well
do the terms Meta or meta appear there?

=======